My Next Project....Ethical Hacking!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i been MIA since i got home a few months ago.. only popping in to check out some threads.. but im slowly making my way back to cyberspace and certforums after a very very "busy" summer! 8) Back in the Uk in a months time and back to uni.. no certs for now cause of my degree but doing to be starting something new and different in my spare time.. to be honest i have lost interest with MS certs i.e. finish up my MCSE - i even tried doing the 621 upgrade exam but i just havent been interested so i had a long time to think of what i want to learn next and what can fit in with my uni timetable and social events etc.. and came up with self-study ethical hacking! No CEH quite yet but im going to base my learning on:

Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep 2

and would like to know from CEH what other books will be a good start? Now i know i dont have any security certs nor do i have much security knowledge (Sec+ could well be the next cert time pending) but from the little bits i have seen in the above book its very hands on and this is what i can enjoy trying out - so what other books are good?

2nd Question: Im assuming VMWare will be ok to use for my network right? What OS should i run/ lab setup?

3rd: Who is CEH out there? Im going to be picking your brains 24-7 lol

So there you have it.. thoughts as always...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing Zimbo anbd good luck with your CEH studies.

Zeb has recently passed the exam and from what he says it's not as difficult as you might think :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks pete! I would like to do the exam eventually.. has anyone applied directly to EC-Council without doing any formal training (i.e. proving experience)?

4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I passed the exam a two months ago. Like the trainer said: "We go a mile wide but just an inch deep".
    You'll see a lot of technics used by hackers, but it is very weak on countermeasures. At least this course will give you a good impression on how easy it can be to bypass a firewall if not set up correctly and how many websites are weakly build.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Tinus im not going on a course.. teaching myself as much as i can then think about CEH. Did you self-study?

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i know we dont have many people interested in this but just bumping it just in case.. anyone got any ideas for good books please? 8)

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Zim,

This looks like the book(s) i used when i did the CEH course back in February:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethical-Hac...3335123?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188466948&sr=8-4

I'm not sure if i would use them as my sole source of study as like i said i was on the course so i used them mainly for reference.

Give the exam cram book a go so you can get a feel for the exam objectives and what is required from you. Wont do any harm!

Fingers crossed the exam cram book has exercises for you to follow as it is handy to get your hands dirty with some of the tools like nmap etc.... on the course they supplied the software on a series of CD's, god knows how long it would have taken me to download all of these tools by hand! :blink

Buy the book, get a handle on what else you need (book and software wise) and then re-evaluate what you might need.... got to start somewhere! :twisted:

The exam is like 150 questions over 4 hours.... some say it was hard, some say it was easy.... i'm in the middle! :rolleyes: :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  8. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

No, I followed a course. We used the official books from EC-Council. Therefor I can not judge on other material.
    My course was 50 percent actual doing things (sniffing, hacking the teachers PC (orders by the teacher) to find an encrypted, hidden (4 times) file.) We mostly worked in pairs in where student 1 had to sniff, hack, crack, spy, manipulate, infest, plant, scan, etc, etc the compter of student 2.
    We even did physical breaking in an office by use of a tap-key.
    (Trainer had a (part of a) door with a lock and showed us how the tap-key worked. We even did it ourself.)
    All kind of technics for websites, sql and so on.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for the replies to both you guys! Im now looking into a network i can use for my ex and this is all going to have to run on VMWare.. so what OS suggestions?