My New Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by anniemac, Mar 21, 2008.

1. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

I have finally left the checkouts and am doing a temp admin job. It's not what I want but at the moment it will do. When I was recruited I was told their server had been down for a week so much work to be done. The 3rd day I went on a course for their software. Halfway through the day the server crashed. The next day it was down again. The funny part is I applied for a help desk job at the same place last year. Thank God I didn't get it. The place I work for is a County Council and my question is what causes the server to go down like that and for such long periods?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the job - even if it is temporary!

And servers can go down and stay down for lots of reasons:

Poor hardware
    Unmaintained hardware
    Poor environment
    Sloppy admin
    Bespoke software that doesn't work properly.

I could go on.... :biggrin

Harry. (who has seen all of the above over the years)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You'll probably find that is typical of most councils, rarely have the most uptodate IT infrastructure, there are some good ones about that have been showcased in the IT press as being ahead of the game, but I feel the majority are lacking.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

most councils are poorly funded and generally cheap skate everything so it could be any one of hundreds of reasons, you'd need to look at the server it self to determine why it keeps going down.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If you find it’s a duel Pentium3 with 256MB of RAM running Windows NT4, run away! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

Congratulations! It is a big step forward :D . Hope this "evil" server turns friendly.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused