My laptop shuts down by itself randomly and without warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobem, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

My laptop toshiba satellite a210 is almost 4-year old one. The first repair for the laptop was a year ago. From its first day in my hands until 2 months ago, only remaining trouble was its noise because of heating much. However, in time i also encountered such a stupid trouble like Shutting down by itself without any warning. I got my laptop
    and took it away for the second repair yesterday. They solved the noise problem, but it still keeps shutting
    itself down. It did it Two times again.

Im starting to hate this laptop , what should i do?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Kobem,

Is the fan and heatsink clogged with dust causing it to overheat ?

Is there anything in event viewer indicating a reason why it shut down?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from those questions, were you running it on mains power or on battery?

If on battery and if it's the original one it may be time to replace it (laptop batteries are really one guaranteed for a year) or if it's was running off mains, have you checked (with a multi-meter) to make sure that the DC current is steady and stable.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

My laptop toshiba satellite a210 is almost 4-year old one. The first repair for the laptop was a year ago. From its first day in my hands until 2 months ago, only remaining trouble was its noise because of heating much. However, in time i also encountered such a stupid trouble like Shutting down by itself without any warning. I got my laptop
    and took it away for the second repair yesterday. They solved the noise problem, but it still keeps shutting
    itself down. It did it Two times again.

Kobem

Sounds to me like your CPU fan was defective causing your laptop to overheat and i would like to think they have replaced the fan, your CPU will shutdown your computer when it reaches around 60c to prevent any serious damage.

You need to find what is causing the CPU to overheat.

Is there thermal compound on your CPU?
    Is the heatsink secured down correctly?
    Is this a known good fan in your laptop?
    Does the fan spin when you power on?
    Is the air intake on your laptop blocked up?

If you took your laptop to be repaired and paid for it I suggest you take it back.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  5. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Do you have temperature monitoring software installed?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Hey, thank you for your assistance. Nevertheless, i suppose there is no longer fan issue according to my observation. I can not realise the exact cause

7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

here is the image showing temperature of CPU cores momentarily

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

+1 i think you will need something like speedfan to monitor the temperature as if the machine just powers off without warning then its likely to be the cpu protection circuit kicking in. If you have windows 7 then you can alter a few advanced power management settings that may help keep the temps down.

EDIT: ok ignore me!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

so does that mean you actually installed some software to see what the cpu temp is or are you just assuming since the fan isn't loud anymore that it is cooling fine? there are many free utilities: core temp, real temp, speccy are a few that come to mind that will tell you your temps

did you look in event viewer? you might want to make sure it isn't set to automatically restart on system failure to make sure you aren't missing a BSOD error.

edit: I was too slow with the post I see the image now.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Then, watch this

[​IMG]

11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does the laptop restart or shutdown?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do not use speedfan for temperatures. It is innacurate use core temp or real temp instead.

All that crap on your desktop (the shortcuts) will be using memory and could be slowing things down.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

just shuts itself down. I detected something however, two weeks ago i began to use ESET smart security. From
    that day, laptop had hard times even refreshing web pages. I mean, application(ESET) along with Zone Alarm
    Internet Security Suite caused my computer get exhausted. Nevertheless, I needed ESET cos Zone wasn't working properly anymore.

Sometimes, even i don't realise why this laptop stops listenin' to me

14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Again (3rd time asked from various people), have you checked event viewer to see if there is an issue there?

Also, if you can't find anything there, do you have a spare laptop hard drive to install a fresh build on that? This is tell if it's a hardware or software issue for sure.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This may be part of your problem.

You have got 2 anti virus programs on and 2 firewalls on the machine at the same time. There is no wonder that the laptop takes ages to refresh web pages. If the Zonealarm suite isn't working - uninstall it.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  16. greenbrucelee

also you do realise that running two firewalls and two anti virus suites can conflict with each other?

I run ESET and I have never had an issue.

Again please check event viewer.

17. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

No issue shown from the event viewer. what i have done recently was removing ESET software then
    changing power plan of the computer.

18. greenbrucelee

read what I put kobem, the issue could be related to the fact you were running ESET smart secutiry and zone alarm. running two firewalls isn't a good idea.

19. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Shortcuts shouldn't use much memory, lnk fies are small and it only needs to pick the ico file once from whicever cache it is contained in. Upon bootup, it can take time for these to be displayed as Windows may need to find the ico file in a DLL or EXE, but once running, shortcuts on a desktop should use very little ram and hardly any extra CPU activity to dsplay. Do the test yourself by creating a bunch of shortcuts on your desk and monitoring CPU/Memory usage.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

SIMS 3 *shudder*. There is your problem right there. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada