My first week in my first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JSH333, Jan 8, 2011.

1. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Hi all,

I just started my first IT role in 1st line support and I decided to share my thoughts on my first week.

I've really enjoyed it! I've spent the week taking service desk phone calls, followed one of the 2nd line support guys around, seen the tape backups being done and getting to know the systems I'll be using.

It's been great so see what I've learned in books for my certs to actually be applied, like SEEING a tape backup (up untill now I've never actually seen magnetic tape drives in the flesh). Also saw one of the network guys configure a switch via Telnet. Helped with giving out RSA tokens. Also was great to have a poke around the server rooms, I probably looked a bit odd being so excited about looking around the servers! lol

Just to point out mine was an internal transfer, I used to work in a quality control office that I now support! A lot still to see and learn as my company is a large plant consisting of 3 factories accross around 2 square km's with around 3000 employees.

All in all I couldnt be happier with my first week, I really get on with my boss too as I think he's relieved to get someone with a bit of enthusiasm! lol

Anyway cheers!

-James

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Congrats on the job! It definitely sounds like you'll have some opportunities to learn some things there. Make sure to remain keen on learning and you'll go far. Good luck going forward!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, just goes to show what opportunities are just round the corner :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. bamboo

bamboo Bit Poster

Congrads !! This just reminds me of my first week in IT 11 years ago ... :biggrin

Certifications: Nil
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT (ICND 1)