My first three weeks

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Josiahb, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I was going to leave this until I actually reached a month but theres no guarantee I'll get another chance to write this in the not to distant future.....

I started my new job with an outsourcing provider based about 10 minutes from my home 3 weeks ago today and its been a fairly full on start! The first 2 days were quiet with the half term holiday having a massive effect on the number of people actually working in our clients offices, this was a damn good thing as the company are in the midst of several major projects at the moment so a fair chunk of the team have been out and about at client sites for most of the month.

I got settled in at my desk and got the usual HR paperwork out of the way before being shown around the basic systems I'll be using on a daily basis (Connectwise, Kaseya and logmein). I was also handed my blackberry and told the netbook I'll be issued with is on order, so a good start for gadgets! With so many staff out there wasn't much time to get too complacent and I was answering support calls within the first few hours.

Its been pretty much constant remote support to start things off but I have had reason to visit some client sites (A UPS install, an ADSL router replacement and a serious client site outage) I'm learning fast and having to think on my feet a lot which is fantastic but low pressure it aint! A hell of a change from supporting the needs of 50 users with no SLAs to tight SLAs and several thousand users in 100 odd client sites around the country.

I've already been asked what my MS certification goals are for the coming year and funding is available to pay for training materials and exams so I should be fairly well certed up in the next 12 months!

I've got a couple of larger projects that I'll be playing a serious part in as well included migrating one of our clients to a hosted solution rather than the current collection of elderly tin, should be fun!

Basically, 3 weeks in and loving it with a company that seem to take a real interest in their staffs well being, just a shame I didn't do this a year ago.... I wouldn't have missed out on the staff christmas trip to the Bahamas then!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. force1

force1 Bit Poster

sounds great !! who u with?

Certifications: 70-647
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Glad to hear it's working out well.

Good luck!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Great! Keep doing the great work!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA