My First IT Job Fell Through

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Stuzzle, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

:(
    So I had handed in my notice all good and proper at my job and was counting down the days in the month till I started my new job as a Junior IT Engineer this Thursday. Every day was like a lifetime when waiting to start the new job
    My notice ended today. The guys at the IT company called me in on Monday night just gone and told me that business had dropped the week after giving me my acceptance letter, and as such they could no longer hire me tomorrow.

:dry So I had to go in to my job yesterday on what was my last day (with today as holiday booked) and ask them for my job back

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dang dude, you must be gutted!

What happened with your current employer?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

After a day of tension they agreed to give me my job back, but obviously now I feel under constant watch and need to wait a few months or so before I start looking for jobs again :dry

So I'm back on payroll, but Not starting a job I'd enjoy tomorrow :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well that is good news, but like you said you will be under scrutiny.

Try and use this to your advantage, get you head down and get some certs or maybe even ask for some extra responsibility.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Damn mate, that has got to be a real pisser. Think I would seriously need to throttle someone if that happened to me:x

There is a bit of a silver lining though - you got offered the job in the first place so you're at least moving in the right direction. Small comfort now I know, but hey, something to hang your disappointment on.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ouch... that's certainly not a good situation they put you in!!! :ohmy

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start looking again. You'll get something.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!