My first impressions of Longhorn

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, May 2, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Installing Longhorn was a nice experience - better, dare I say, than Windows 2003. During installation you are prompted if you want to install the full server (similar to 2003) or if you just want to install the core server (this is what's been in the news). I, of course, chose the full server install. Even though I'm installing Longhorn on a machine that already has Server 2003 on it, the installation disabled the upgrade path. I can only assume that it's because I booted up from the DVD instead of running the installation program in Windows (this is just like in Vista).

So a fresh installation it is... After checking the option and after 15 mins & 3 reboots I was faced with the new Longhorn server desktop. It really looks like Vista (from first glance, minus the aero interface and if set Vista to best performance instead of selecting "let Computer decide"). Again something new with Longhorn, I was now faced with "Initial Configuration Tasks", this is where you would set up your admin password, time zone, Networking, Computer name/domain, updates and the add roles/features. Putting that aside for a while, I decide to do windows updates. Ok Windows updates was a slow process and it came back with error code 8024402C. I wasn't too cheesed off with this as it is a beta and it was only released a couple of days ago.
    So back to the roles... There are 17 different roles and 35 different features that you can install on your server, now you're spolit for choice. My first 3 choices were to make my new server a Terminal services server, a fileserver and a web server. First thing I noticed was that the wizards are more friendly and security minded. After making my selection and clicking next about x-teen times, the server just trundled along. OK after it finished setting up the 3 roles I selected, another restart and to finish off the installtion and tah-dah, finshed.

All in all, first impressions of Longhorn, nice and easy to use. However the real test will be coming up when I decide to make this a domain controller and create a network with clients... As for if I'm going to make the jump from 2k3 to Longhorn when it comes out, well I'll have to see how my tests go.

Test machine: laptop - 1.6 cel & 512mb of ram.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice one Ken.

I actually installed Beta 3 last night into a VM. Thats all I did though, when it got to the nice shiney desktop I had to shut it down and go do other things. Perhaps someday I will have the time to play with my toys! :dry

3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you any screenshots? Where did you get the beta from?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Kitkatninja

I got them directly from MS. Don't have any screen shots from installing the server, but will post some screen shot tomorrow with the server running :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just downloaded it.

@SGUK, what virtual software have you used to install it?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I got my copy the other day...have yet to have a play about with but hopefully will install it soon and much about on it...might give it a bash on VMWare as opposed to VPC but will try both to see which runs better...or that wont matter I guess hehe...I happen to have both 32 and 64 bit...so we'll see the difference...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm running it in parallels on my MacBook. Simply told it that it was a Vista OS and installed no problem.

Had a few mins on it this afternoon, managed to get a password set on the Administrator account! :rolleyes:

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting, I would like to give it a try in a VM. Right now I have 2k3 installed in a VM because I am studying for 2k3 but maybe in a few weeks I'll give it a try, I will definitly however download it right now.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

going to download and install it soon... now that uni is over! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

its a shame the Windows Server Virtualisation Services wont be released until 180 days after launch
    boo hoo, that stuffs gonna rock (I hope)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. np3893

np3893 Bit Poster

I really like the new Server Manager Console it is a good central location to do most things from. Have installed AD, DNS and CA, AD looks very similar to 2k3, DNS is almost identical and CA is also similar.

NP

Certifications: BSc, A+, MCSA 2k3, 70-293
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  13. Kitkatninja

I was going to post up some pictures, but I'll just post a link to Techrepublic as they have already it :)

-ken

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The screenshots there look good and the dude writing the captions was either very funny or was very very bored...I myself have been playing with this for the last 2 days now...

I since created my server, connected my vista machine to the domain and also included a network drive...I am really starting to get the hang of this...

Of course it is beta so there are few things expected such as Echange 2007 not working on longhorn so far until SP1...overall I think it will do ok when its fully released...but for now I shall carry on playing around hehe :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life