My first 6 weeks in IT :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Just thought I would post a little update as some people may be wondering how I'm getting on in my new job, well I'm happy to report that so far it's going great!

Just a little background for those who don't know me (probably most) I have been trying to get into IT for what seems like forever - started studying for my first cert back in sept 2007 I think, after frustration at not getting anywhere with job applications, over the next 18 months or so I did several certs and applied for hundreds of jobs in the mean time, not getting anywhere, so was over the moon when I was finally offered a job as Junior IT Support Officer (see my previous posts for interviews etc)

I had NO previous experience in IT (at least not work experience), coming from a customer service job where I did occasional troubleshooting, and I can now definitely say that in just 6 weeks in this job I have learned a massive amount, and I really enjoy the job (honestly!) as it is varied and I get to use my brain :D

I do all sorts from the basic password resetting, troubleshooting connection issues, backups, antivirus administration, ordering new hardware, and setting up new PCs (and old) with fresh installations, printers, remote assistance, as well as dealing with the numerous custom applications which the business uses... Also got a few on going projects which I have been given as little side tasks.

I think I am doing well so far, I have not had to "escalate" any problems to my superior, sorted everything out myself so far :) which I'm proud of. They have pretty much left all the IT support to me now, as the rest of the IT department are developers so I have had to pretty much dive right in! Everyone there is really nice too, and it's quite a laid back atmosphere, a massive difference to my previous job!

And I have also been told by both my managers that they have had a lot of good feedback from other managers about me, and that I am doing better than expected, which is great to hear :D

So to sum it up, I worked hard and waited a long time to get this job, but I am thankful every day that I did get it - to those out there who are struggling and trying to break into IT, stick with it, I thought I would never get anywhere but I got there in the end, hard work will pay off!!!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well done mate, good luck and keep the good work going :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Excellent news chap, keep the good work up!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Nice one, well done fella :) keep at it.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Nice one. Well done mate :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good stuff! Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. JimConnolly

JimConnolly Bit Poster

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up. :thumbleft

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done

9. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Thanks for posting some feedback on how you're doing m8. It's interesting to hear how folks get on in the early days of a new job.

Glad your doing well and enjoying it! Hope it continues for you. :D

Certifications: None
  10. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

great story

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
  11. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Nice one mate! In the same situaton as you were. But I will hold tight and not give up 8) Glad the job's going well for you :biggrin

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  12. roockie

roockie New Member

Hard work really does pay in the end. Keep up the good work mate!

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

well done mate - all your hard work paid off. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

Nice one, glad to hear you are enjoyong the new job, and a few words of hard earned advice to help you stay on top.

1. If it aint broke don't fix it. I have been there and had the hairdryer treatment for my trouble :oops: If you ever go into one of those large server rooms, keep your hands in your pockets, the temptation to mess with stuff is just too great for us techies :twisted:

2. Backup, Backup, Backup. Always backup everything you can, even if the customer says they don't need it, they always come back and say they can't find stuff.

3. If you are making changes to the systems, have a plan going in and a backout plan if its not going well. I generally have a plan A, B and, C, with clear points in the project to test the changes.

4. Always be honest, if you drop the ball on something speak up 1st and you will gain respect from your managers as somebody who can be trusted. Its easier to work with someone to fix an issue than try to hide it and then get found out.

remember this and you should get on great and have a long and successful career in IT.

JV

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  15. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Seriously good advice JV

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations MikeyBoy:) and best wishes in the new role. Hard work and determination certainly does pay off in the end.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. Col

Col Byte Poster

Great story. Congrats on all your hard work paying off. Gives the rest of us hope that the long slog to that first job is actually possible.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  18. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Just thought I'd update on this, well not much to say really other than I really think I made the right choice getting into IT support, really enjoy the job 99% of the time!

I have pretty much found my feet now, I don't know everything (obviously, ain't been there 5 minutes :biggrin ) but I like the fact that I just now deal with all the issues which come in, only rarely do I have to ask for help so at least I must be doing something right!

Got my 3 month probation meeting soon i think (well it should be soon, no ones mentioned it!) so I'm looking forward to that, will be a relief when I am finally permanent :biggrin

I am thinking about asking for the "junior" to be removed from my job title, as it is only me who does the "supporting" so I think it's only fair :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+