My experience with 70-284

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I have to say that the 70-284 is officially the hardest exam I have ever taken.

Sat my resit this morning and failed with a score of 630.

These are the topics on my score report sheet:

1. Installing, Configuring and Troubleshooting Exchange Server 2k3: Strong
    2. Managing, Monitoring and Troubleshoting Exchange Server Computers: Strong
    3. Managing, Monitoring and Troubleshooting the Exchange Organisation: Average (half way)
    4. Managing Security in the Exchange Environment: Good to very good
    5. Managing & monitoring Technologies that Support Exchange Server 2k3: Average to above Average

But....

6. Managing Recipient Objects and Address Lists: Zero, Zip, Nada, Needs Development...

While I have experience with Exchange 2000 and 2003, the scenairo's which MS actually questioned me on where definitely out of my experience.

Anyway the study material that I used was: Learnkey, Trainsignal, Testout, Transcender (.pdf study guide and test software) and MOC 70-284.

I'm not sure how people will no real experience actually pass this exam (or any professional exams really).

Anyway, I have a question for you guys/gals, what do you think I should do?...

Do I:

A. Try again with the Exchange 2003 exam (70-284) in January with the free 2nd shot with Prometric, or
    B. Forget about Exchange 2003 and continue with testing out Exchange 2007 and use the free 2nd shot for that.

What are your thoughts on this one?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd learn a Linux based system called NetManager instead Ken, it's clearly got 20 times the functionality of Exchange. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Kitkatninja

I knew I was going wrong somewhere :lol:

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't throw away your work with E2k3.

I'd give it one more shot (plus the free retake) and then move on. You know where MS say's you're weak, so swot up.

Regardless of the outcome of the exam the knowledge of the product that you do have will prove to be invaluable.

8)

5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, you were not too far away though.

I would keep going with Exchange 2k3 as well....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Crap... that's not good news, for you OR for me. I'm currently studying for 70-284, using DP/Will's Sybex book. Got good reviews... hope it's preparing me well (along with my real-world admin experience with it).

I'd recommend giving it another shot with the free retake, Ken... you've come this far, might as well try to see it through to it's conclusion. You're a smart guy, and you're not far from passing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

Exchange has much larger market share. My guess

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  8. Kitkatninja

That was only a joke, that was the line that the vendor who sold it to us claimed.

-Ken