my expensive 70-270

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by silentjess, Feb 19, 2008.

1. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

it costs me 3times of 225 to take this exam.

1 - booked, was busy, didn't take it, so my 2nd shot was voided. there goes 225bucks.
    2 - booked, took the exam for my first time and failed by 30marks friggin pissed, wanted to book and realised, i had forgotten to insert my voucher number for a free exam.
    3 - rebooked, made sure i listed the voucher number - march 08.

this sucks!
    i'm so friggin pissed right now!

i asked prometric if they could insert the voucher number for exam 2, as i DID used a voucher in booking the first one and hoped they understand that i forgot to put the number in, bbut they told me, once not booked with it, there's no free shot.

i can't believe this................

any ideas?
    ways to get a better route out of this?
    i feel like giving up after 'wasting the money on my mistakes'.
    i really want to make it work for my mcsa, but i just...ive spent at least 1k for the previous exams.

on the other hand,
    i have to say, i read and practiced like mad, i can't believe the questions were not from the MS book for 70-270.
    nor in the practices i did with MS cd.
    infact, i believe they were more of 70-272 kind of topics!
    scary.
    it was like, asking myself, 'did i book the wrong exam?'
    haha...
    and when i got 673 marks i was really pissed.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  2. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

put it down to experience and book in a month or so. Get yourself some practice testing software and revise like a slllllaaaaaaag!

also the exam cram 270 book is great for the last for a quick read a fortnight before the exam

just dont rush on the next ones

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You seem to get "pissed" a lot? Have you tried laying off the booze - I only got "pissed" AFTER I passed an exam :blink

:oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:lol:

maybe you have underestimated your rediness for it, have you used any practice exams?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t give up mate; you are only at the start of your MCSE journey.

You only failed by a few points so you are almost there. Read over the MS Press book (well, the bits you are unsure of) and make sure you turn up in time for the exam. :biggrin

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting comparison! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hit the books :study and avoid another failure. At least you're better prepared for future exams.
    Learn from it and move on; dwelling over it will only keep you from succeeding.

Good Luck...

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry to hear about your fail, you're almost there, just a little more studying.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't want to sound too negative, but have you considered you may not be cut out for it? How much practical experience do you have working with XP in a domain environment? It's one of the pre-requisits for the exam. A decent amount of real world experience is essential when taking certs like this and if you don't have it you shouldn't be going for it in the first place in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

hmm. i have a feeling you guys presume i failed the exam 3 times. erm, i'm actually saying, 'i paid 3 times the price cos of silly mistakes on registration?'

hm, i've been in the desktop line for up to 3 yrs. server, 1 yr+.

i'm more concerned about the $$ man!

i'm angry with myself for wasting the 1st exam's $ and then failing to insert the promo code on the 2nd!
    my silly mistake....

although my book's looking kinda torn, i think i needed more 'what ifs' questions and a better memory.

i spent another 225 to book and this time, i made sure i inserted the promo code.

11. greenbrucelee

maybe you have over studied and burnt your self out, this can happen if you study too much.

12. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

its ok man, i have to face to this somehow.
    i know i've got the passion for this, i enjoy my work very much. its always challenging. though most of the time i'm googling for resources but i learn through it.
    then again, being to perform 101% is another thing. i do question myself on why i'm doing this quite abit.
    and also as its mostly male dominant.

13. greenbrucelee

just revise and practice until you fully understand the concept.

Do not do the same practice exams over & over as you will remember the answers from the last time you did it, so you will not really learn anything.

14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

From the sound of things, you're doing just great... we all google to learn as well as reading the books. Plus, you get to work with the stuff hands on.

Don't even let the male dominant bit enter the equation... if you enjoy it, then do it. We don't do it because we're male, we do it because we enjoy it...

If you didn't do it, would you miss it?

Also, bear in mind, we all have **** days... :D OK, you missed the promo code, and you have to pay the extra... but, when you pass that will be one heck of a feeling! 8)

15. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

IMNSHO, the testing software that comes with the MS Press books is a waste of time as test prep. (I do think it's useful as a self-teaching tool though.) With your experience, it sounds to me like you have the aptitude, knowledge and attitude to pass these exams. You probably just need more experience with the MS style exam questions. I hesitate to suggest you spend yet more money, but get yourself the Transcender for whatever exam you take. They've got the style down pat. When you ace the final Transcender, you know you're going to pass that exam. Period.

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  16. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

The way I always try to look at the money is :

If I invest for example £500 today in exam X. Will I recoup the money during the rest of my life.

Even if passing the exam helps you to get a very small payrise or the opportunity for a better paid job the money soon comes back. In my opinion these exams and certs are a long term investment.

For example if you plan to become an MCSA, 4 exams at say £300 each = £1200. I hope at the end of MCSA to have secured a lot more than a £1200 payrise.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  17. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

i agree with you, and everyone's pov.
    i have come to terms with it now..and..i will study harder.

you guys are best.

18. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

i passed. but i'm not happy.
    i'm not contented with passing knowing that i didn't get >90%.

hmm, what i've learnt from this exam,
    Sybex 70-270 third edition - seriously. like 20% came from the book.

there wasn't any Bluetooth, extended commands for secedit where you load the .inf and .db..yada yada. ok. maybe just these two.
    what i thought was important didn't appear. RIS, dynamic disk (span,simple,striped), muisetup, disk monitoring..
    many other stuff. i just know its not from the book man. had i not studied for the 70-270, with 271 & 272 before, i would flunk.

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Be happy that you passed 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass, don't worry about the score that you've received. Remember MS exams questions are taken from a pool of questions and depending on the luck of the draw you can get "easy-ish" questions, "hard" questions or a combination of the two.

So a person getting 950 on a exam may not necessarily know more than a person that only got 700. A pass is a pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security