My entry level CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kai, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kai

kai Bit Poster

Kye

Education

 .
     6 GCSE’s

Further education

 CompTIA A+ (Courswork only)
     CompTIA Network+ (Pending exam)

Work experience

 2004 - 2006 - Country GardensTrainee Landscaper

 Sept 2010 - Present - EurosparFresh food assistant

Career objective

I am looking for an entry level position in IT as a 1st line tech support, desktop support, Computer technician or junior network assistant.

I have built my own computers as a teenager and have helped troubleshoot friends and families PC and Networking issues. I am looking for an entry level IT job to start my career, and would be grateful for the opportunity. I am hard working, often stepping out of my role and taking a supervisory stance when needed. My current job requires me to be a valuable team player in a very demanding, customer driven environment.

IT has always interested me and is something I would like to do in employment rather then an interest and hobby.

Expected Salary: 21,000 Euro

References

Address and references are for obvious reasons cleared out. Since im gunning for a entry level job, I dont know how much I need to express what little practical hands on skill I have and how much I should express how hard working and valuable I could be.

Any advice to touch this up a little would be so helpful. There is a entry level job near me, 9 month contract but its perfect. Sooner I have this done the better.

Kye.

2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Are you in the UK? I see "Expected Salary: 21,000 Euro", which is about 17.5G's, this might be a bit ambitious considering you have no experience.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

You need to change the date order of your CV- Most recent at the top, and then go down. You need to explain some of the skills used in your job. Focus on customer service, because that is important in most entry level jobs.

I would also put your work experience above your education, you have also got the date wrong for the job Sept 10, I think you mean 09? Do you have any other languages? I would put those on as well.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  4. kai

kai Bit Poster

The job wants 8 - 12 month experience and offering 24k onward. Im earning 19k at the moment working in a deli. Id work for 19k in IT just to get my foot in the door.

Kye.

5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Your be lucky. Your being way over ambitious. Lucky to get 19k working in a Deli as it is. You would be extremely lucky to get 19k for a first I.T. job.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

What is first IT job salary?
    All ads that I have seen stated around £18 for entry level

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I would say depending on your location, it would be around the £12k-£15k mark on average. Lower if you get in via an apprenticeship, higher if you're lucky.

Also be aware, that sometime Entry level and 1st tier support get's thrown into the same category, which really shouldn't be, imo.

As for the CV (just a brief look at it), as it's for an entry level job (no previous experience), I would keep the qualifications above the work experience, however I would put the further education above the secondary education and list them highest to lowest. In the employment section, I would list them most recent to earliest. Unless requested, I would omit the expected salary as that may put some employers off (eg why should I pay X amount for someone that I will have to train? If you catch my drift).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My first IT job salary was £12.5k, which was a pay cut if you consider that I left an admin job which paid more than that - granted that was a few years ago :disguise

One of our Tech's started as an IT Apprentice and his salary was (back then) the training wage of £80pw, it has increased since then :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

10-15 k you can look at as wagnerk said. My first full time I.T. job was 13k pounds.

Others I have been have all been pretty bad.

Now its 35k tho dollars not pounds. Unfortunately I don't see all of that money but that's another story. Get your foot in the door and don't expect more than a certain wage, it won't happen. Work hard and your get there.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  10. kai

kai Bit Poster

Its 21k euro remember? :biggrin Which is really not alot. The job is entry level and asking for 24k, but 21k is what I feel I am worth considering no experience atm.

Kye.

11. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Eck. You need to find a new job. You are highly underpaid, especially given that you live in NY.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  12. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

You feel you are worth 21k (17.5K pounds) without any experience and any certs. I'm sure there are people out there with experience and certs who would be willing to work for that.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  13. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Yeh I am an intern from the U.K. doing a work/study programme. Thing is I work for a top 20 world biggest companies and in a pretty well 'was' prestigious organization. So I am getting an amazing CV working here and good experience.

I actually get less than that ;) The money gets given to the programme.
    I earn like 920 dollars a month. We get free accommodation though in Jersey City / Hoboken + post graduate certificate.

Kai your not worth that without any experience.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  14. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am not too sure about the comments you have put after the comptia parts. Is there any reason you have not sat the exam for the a+ and decided to go for the exam on the network+?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What gives you the right to think you're worth 21k? Honestly?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  16. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

on a side note.. in this current market. What salary do you people think the following jobs deserve?

first line (entry level-telesale experience)
    2nd line (2 years 2nd line experience)
    3rd line (1 year experience with servers and exchange etc)

Cheers

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  17. kai

kai Bit Poster

Its 21k EUROS! I earn near that working in the deli. Most entry level jobs or 1+ year experience offer 23 - 25k EUROS. 21k is to make up for my lack of experience.

Ive sent the CV out to a few companies. Im actually embaressed that I have now. Money is very tight at the moment and it will be a month before I can save up for the exam, and will seriously eat into my fund for doing a course in september.

Im considering trying to work for free in some places just for the experience. I would really enjoy learning hands on and seeing how a IT workplace operates.

Kye.

18. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

wtf is a deli?

Seen it mentioned a few times now and its starting to bug me

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  19. kai

kai Bit Poster

Delicatessen.

I make fresh food and serve customers said fresh food in the form of rolls and sandwiches. Its not a great job. In fact, i told a customer id rather shovel **** and he said "what makes you think your not already?" lol.

I work 39 hours a week, but im thinking of having one day working in the local IT shop as a work experience. It would certainly flesh out my CV being able to mention I "work" part time doing call outs and dealing with customers and their computers.

Kye.

20. Len

Len Byte Poster

Ok, you make nearly 21k working at a deli.. but do you like it? what are your future prospects if you continue working there? My guess is not many, a dead end job if you like.

In IT there are usually lots of opportunities, even if it means earning less at first, doing something you are passionate about, in the long term you will be happier, and more well off since there are more opportunities to gain a higher wage.

You aren't worth 21k YET, but could be once you gain experience working in a lower paid IT job for a while.

Edit: sorry, not sure where I got 19k from..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+