My dilema, TP train now pay later option?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by chen, May 14, 2009.

1. chen

chen New Member

Ok i am new to the forums and i have been reading alot lately about TP's because i have enquired about a mcsa and mcse courses with Computrain-uk. They have rang me on a few occasions now to talk about the course they offer. After various calls on level of commitment and a telephone interview will follow etc.. i thought they were going to offer me some on the training job. So i did some reading up on TP's and how they work, so now i know they are just a training company with recruitment subsidary.

Telephone interview followed the next day with the conversation leading up to the £2550 for training + £600 or so for examination package. I told the advisor i would have to think about it and he told me he would call me back on my views later after reading up on all the figures. Today he rang back and i told him straight out i couldnt afford the funding and that i was leaning towards the self learning route. He swayed the pros and cons about finding jobs on your own etc. and finally offered me a Train now and no payments option until they found me a job placement. Which is very very tempting as with a job i could pay them back monthly. and i would get so to speak a free training package until i get to work.

Now im at a dilema do i take the offer? has anyone had similar experiences? Any questions i should ask before i go with this? your views will be much appreciated.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no one can garauntee you a job. What sort of placement could he put you in?

if he didn't mention anything specific then you could find yourself working in McDonalds and because they've got you that job then you would have to pay.

What experience in IT do you have? Someone going for the MCSA should have atleast 6-12 months experience working as a Network Administrator (this is what MIcrosoft says).

Someone going for the MCSE should have atleast 12-18 Months experience as systems engineer or supporting a multi user multi server environment (this is what MIcrosoft say).

Going for certs like that without the required experience can go against you when looking for a job but a training provider wont tell you this because all they are interested in is your cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. chen

chen New Member

Thankyou GreenBrucelee for your reply.
    I am currently taking a break from work to figure out my carreer path.

I have completed A levels in computer studies. My previous job have been in customer service role.
    My only hands on experience have been repairing,servicing and putting together computers for family friends for numerous years.

I gathered that TP at the end of the day are interested in the cash.
    The course the advisor has put together includes the ECDL, A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA & MCSE. Seems to be a route.

I understand that experience is key in all job sectors. I'm thinking would it be better to self study the ECDL, A+ and N+. Find a Job and then continue with the rest? What type of role should i be looking at for someone like myself to enter the sector? I would like to beable to gain experience with administrator role so i would be able to move towards the MCSA. What kind of achievable time frame we looking at?

4. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

I agree with what has been said. Chen your situation looks very similar to me. I previously worked as a customer service advisor too and now working as a Helpdesk Analyst.

At one point I had the same thought as you but then I changed my mind. I would advise you not to go with a TP because it will not gurantee you a job straight after. With econmy climate like this it is not wise to spend the money especially when you have already said you cannot afford the money.

From what I have gone through to reach to first IT position I would advise it is better to re write you CV and keep applying for jobs. Jobs are very scarce at the moment but if you can drive and if you are prepared to re locate then I am sure you will find the right position in IT.

5. greenbrucelee

Self study isn't for everyone but if your determined then you can do it.

Start of with beginner certs like the A+,N+ and MCDST (you can do the ECDL if you want) and go no further until you have experience working in IT.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You probably want details of this in writing.

What if they offer you a job 200 miles ways for £10k a year?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. chen

chen New Member

thankyou for the advice guys. What type of job roles/titles i should be looking out for?

8. greenbrucelee

Well with no on the job experience, whilst studying the A+ you should be looking for entry level technican or trainee technician, 1st line support or field service tech roles.