My dear Windows Installer

Discussion in 'Software' started by afusco86, Jan 14, 2006.

1. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

A very common problem.

When i'm about to install an application which uses the Windows Installer a nice alert comes out "windows installer could not be executed blablabla safe mode blabla"

I tried all of the methods suggested by Microsoft itself but none worked.

Can someone help me?

Don't tell me I need to format my pc plllllzzzz!!! :cry: :( :(

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - we are going to ask you to give us the *exact* error message. I seriously doubt that M$ says 'blahblah'! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I won't tell you that. Microsoft only uses the "blah blah" error on every special occasions. When you get it you must buy a new PC. Your old one is not repairable. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i have come across this situation 5 times in the last month and 3 times i have had to format.. you missing the windows installer file.. download it from HERE otherwise im afraid you looking at a backup and a dreaded format :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

1) I apologize for the poor technicity of my report :p. Here's the exact error message I get:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I tried all of Microsoft's tips but NONE worked.

2) zimbo: I tried that one too. I even tried the v3.1 indeed and guess what?

I ask myself why on hearth Bill&Co. would create such an 'installation unifier whatever' tool which is so unstable???????

For the ones who don't know what I'm talking about (I'm gonna put it as I got it, corrections are welcome), Windows Installer is a utility used by many programs to perform installation. Just per chance, all the programs I need to install (yes, [email protected]!!) use the windows installer. Ok, I won't upgrade my favourite security suite, I'll go for another one, but I need to install Meyers' testing software:cry!!!

Cool.. I feel better now.

Anything else I could do? apart from formatting the bloody c: drive

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried running a repair installation of XP over itself?

Boot from the XP CD and when it has detected previous windows installations it will give you an option to repair. This basically reinstalls windows over the top of itself and means that you don't have to backup, and reinstall all of your data, although that would be advised before doing it.

Worth trying before you format. 8)

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yip.. i agree, would have mentioned it too infact! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. hbroomhall

Although it is about office this may be of some help.

There are also quite a lot of other methods of fixing this I've seen by putting the first sentence of the message into Google.

Harry.

9. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

I think the link doesn't work.

I was thinking of doing that too. But, you know, it's hard for me to trust those things. What if my now fragile system hungs up in the middle of a restore? It the last thing I want to do, either a restore or a format.

The only reason I haven't done a format yet is that I'm using a notebook, I'm (very) far from home, I'm waiting for all my downloads (a formatting kit, just like the one I left home :oops: ) to finish... and yes.. for XXXXXXXXX's sake I want try and fix things in a different way as I did when I was a kid - everytime I format I feel like a looser, you know what I mean :x :x

just want to be sure there's nothing else to do.

:biggrin Anyway, I can see there's not... thanks everybody!!!

10. hbroomhall

Odd. I've just tried the link in the quote you gave and it worked!

Harry.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Yes it does. I don't know why it didn't before.

I tried to reinstall it as well, but no way. I'll have to format my pc.

Thanks anyway guys!

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It goes beyond winning and losing sometimes afusco, but I know what you mean about not wanting to format.

I think there is a fine line between keeping on trying different things and drawing out the process for a long time and deciding to go ahead and format the thing.

If the problem was time critical then sometimes you have to bite the bullet and format because at least with that you can give a realistic estimate of how long a re-install is going to take, including the apps that need to go on.

A problem like the one you have described though can just be a black hole that sucks in all the time you have and doesn't give up. :)

Good luck sorting it out anyway!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada