My CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Josiahb, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Is probably a mess... so time for you guys to help :p

I had my sisters help putting together the original 4 years ago (she works in recruitment) but since then I've corrupted it and mucked it about so its probably completely balls now (the lack of interviews I'm getting is evidence enough of that).

So girls and boys, would you kindly take a look and be as brutal as you like.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A couple of things I would change is to delete blurb on what the A+ and N+ are about and just simply have that you are N+ and A+ certified.

Make the table with your qualifications and subjects you studied stand out more,

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Len

Len Byte Poster

If I was an employer, I would feel really insulted reading the blurb about the N+ and A+. Which in turn means it goes straight in the bin and no interview.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Fair point, I chucked in the A+ and N+ blurb having got really bored and pissed off answering the same question from a whole succession of recruitment muppets. Most annoying was the guy who actually asked whether the N+ was anything like a CCNA...

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be fair, how many times are variations of that question asked on this very forum? I've lost count of the number of people who have said that the CCNA is just an advanced form of Network+ and that the CCNA covers the Network+ curriculum and more, when in actuality, it does not.

In any case, I agree with removing the blurbs from your CV. Employers who know what it is won't need the blurb, and employers who don't already know what it is can search for it on their own - or the cert won't matter much to them anyway.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Right, I've had a play based on the comments so far. The blurbs gone and I've had a go at making my qualifications look a bit better organised and impressive. I've ditched the bit about college courses because although I completed them I didn't actually get awarded anything for my (lack of) effort.

Attached Files:

7. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Just my view but I always like to 'Justify' any blocks of text (as in, the text alignment formatting), so it always looks neat down the right side of the page.

This can mean tweaks are needed elsewhere though, as it can space text out undesireably.

The length is good though (I don't think a CV should exceed 2 pages).

Steff.

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+
  8. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Being self employed for so long I am probably out of touch on CV conventions, but would you not be expected to give an indication of grades for your GCSE/A Levels? Even if you dont give each one individually, ie on mine I just put 7 A-C grades inc English & Maths. Is this not the convention any more? Personally I would like to know your grades if looking to employ you.

Also the blocks of colour for the educational stuff - is this encouraged? I can appreciate why you would do it but I was always advised to keep the format simple, maybe one spot colour but a coloured table may be a bit much? I personally think it looks quite good, but not sure how recruiters view such things?

Certifications: C&G, A+
  9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I agree with Nick on this I wouldn't use any colour on your CV or have tables of any kind on your CV. I was also told not put logos on my CV when I did it years ago. If you are submitting your CV to agencies they mostly format your CV when submitting it to clients and they remove logos as well.

Think you also need to pad out the work experience bit as it doesn't really tell you much about what you did or who/what sector it was in.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I was always told that a splash of colour does your CV the world of good, anything to grab attention. Even if recruiters do strip the logos etc out there presence should still work to grab the attention of the recruiter and thats step 1 of the process after all.

yeah, I may actually remove all reference to it. Thats a hang over from when I didn't have much of an employment history (just the pub and that) and was looking for anything they'd pay me for. Quite frankly, it was bollocks, a week of dossing around at a company that had no work (they folded two months later).

11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

What I would do is to speak to a couple of agencies if your looking for jobs through them and ask about your CV. I tend to ask from time to time to see if my CV is up to scratch and to get advice from them on any improvements or tweaks. At the end of the day agencies in a lot of cases are your bread and butter so I would ask them about using colour, tables and logos. It looks nice as you say but if it's not what they want your stuffed.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Very true, good advice Slypie!

May throw it at a friend of mine who used to work in IT recruitment and see what he has to say.

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually that depends on the kinds of positions you're going for, the consultant side of things often requires more information on your CV, this can lead to 4 - 5 page length cv's. Admittedly mine is 2 pages at the moment but it has been up to 3 pages before.

I haven't had scholastic qualifications on my CV for years, there comes a point in your career where they really shouldn't count towards the job you're going for, it's obviously different for 18 year olds but past 25 I would say don't bother.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Good, I'm 26 :p

Honest truth is I'd find it challenging to actually put my hands on my GCSE or A-level certificates and I can't remember the grades!

15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Alright, I've got some feedback on my CV and its all much appreciated, I'll act on it all as soon as I get a moment.

But now another question, because I am useless at evaluating my own skills, based on my CV what sort of jobs does everyone reckon I should be looking at applying for?

16. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have never put my GCSEs on my CV and im 19.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  17. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Any more thoughts from anyone? While we here, any thoughts (based on my CV) on what certs I should look at once I've got the MCDST done?

18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Just a quick bump and reminder of my current questions in case anyone has a moment to help me out:

Based on my CV what certs I should look at once I've got the MCDST done?

What sort of jobs does everyone reckon I should be looking at applying for?

Just interested as to what people reckon my current skill set is 'worth'

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll give you $7.50 for it... and not a penny more. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster