My Cv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 5aq1b, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

alrighty,
    Would anyone be able to look at my current CV on here and give me some feedback? I've now tailored it so that it's similar to that of the one in the sticky thread above.

My original CV was brief but did have lots of paragraphs. Now that i've been in a 1st line support role for 9 months, and also started 2nd line (at same company) today, i'm wanting to update my CV so that it's bulletpointed with all relevant skills and tools i've used since employment.

maybe if i posted my CV up, or pasted it here then someone could help?

Thanks

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Reply to this post and attach a copy in Word format. Don't forget to take off any identifying information (real name, address, phone number, email address, and so on) before attaching the document. That way we can have a look and provide feedback. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'll post it up soon however I have one question on the layout about my employment section.

I've currently been promoted to a 2nd line role within the company which i just started after doing a 1st line role for 8 months. How do i go about laying that out?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Its a new job, therefore it goes in as a new job. 8)

5. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Thanks. I'm struggling with the 'Acheivements' section from the example Cv in the sticky.

all i've really done is a BSc in Computer and networking support + 8 months in 1st line + promoted to a 2nd line role which i've just started.

Any help please?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Post what you've got up and we'll see what we think of it. You can go from there.

No point in trying to make it good if we're all going to pull it to bits! :biggrin

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If we can't see your CV, we can't help. Please meet us halfway and post it. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just in the process of updating my CV.......

Quick couple of questions as were on the CV subject, when listing employment duties/responsibilities do you use bullet points to list them or write sentences? Im begining to run out of space and wondering if bullet points is the way to go as I can fit more in - dont really want to go over 2 pages.

I have been on a few training courses provided by my company from internal and external people, is it a good idea to list these even if you dont have formal paperwork/certs for these courses?

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bullet points are the way to go. Recruiters want hard fast facts.

I'd list the courses. I know someone who has done loads of MS courses, but never sat the exams, he lists the courses, and never seems to have trouble finding employment.

8)

10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks!! 8)

11. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

sounds like solid advise to me.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I use a single sentence. I have a separate section that outlines the sort of technologies I have experience using. For example, in my EXPERIENCE section, I have a bullet point that says:

• Experienced with most versions of DOS, Windows, and NetWare; some familiarity with Linux and Unix

In my WORK HISTORY section, I have a one-sentence entry that says

May 2001 – September 2005 Content Developer - Company: City, ST
    Managed projects and developed content for computer-based IT certification exam training software

Employers don't want to see every single detail of what you did at every single job. They want to know quickly what your general responsibilities were and what you are able to do for them now.

Sure, put courses on there until you start getting certifications for them. Once you start getting enough certifications, you can drop the courses off the resume. The courses certainly aren't worth as much to an employer as the certifications are. After all, just about ANYONE can take and pass a course... certifications are quite a bit more difficult.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Ok here it is. This is not my Complete CV. It's a mix of my old one plus the one i'm working on.

1) Struggling with the 'Achievements' section.
    2) I know Employment section can be cut down correct?
    3) I also know that my section at the end about me is far too essay-fied. Maybe some of this can be bulletpointed in some way or even transferred into the Achievements section?
    4) How can i beef up my Expertise section?

Sorry for all the questions, just struggling a bit really.

Attached Files:

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sorry mate but my first thought is too many pages. IMHO a CV should be 2 pages max, bullet point, short and sweet. Too much waffle and the personnel officer just won't be bothered to read it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with AJ, CV 2 pages, cover letter 1 page. As both someone who looks over IT candiates and someone who applies for jobs, you want to be able to have something to say at your interview and you don't want to "bore" a prospective employer with excess reading. Remember on average a prospective employer will make his/her mind up within 30 seconds whether or not to invite you for an interview. Anyway hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. BosonMichael

Agreed. If I have to read it (if I can't skim it), it doesn't get read.

You can certainly distill your "essays" into bullet points and place them into other appropriate sections. For example:

...can be distilled into a single bullet point:

• Possesses strong organizational skills

They don't need to be told what advantages that entails; they know that someone with strong org skills can manage priorities and meet deadlines. They don't need to know that you used these skills at Blue Audio; they only care that you have those skills to begin with.

There are other ways to distill information on a resume. For example:

...can be distilled to:
    2000 – 2001 Sky TV, Livingston, Technical Support Adviser (part time)
    • Provided technical support, customer service, and sales to customers.

Does an employer need to know that Technical Support = "Troubleshooting technical problems for customers. Diagnosing faults and providing solutions."? No, of course not. Technical support is technical support is technical support. Anyone with half a brain is already going to know what that is... and if they don't have half a brain, do you really want to work for them?

I don't know what differences there are between CVs in the UK and resumes in the US, if any... but when I do my resume, I only include information that is relevant to the position for which I'm applying. The music, football, and gym stuff isn't relevant to being employed by the company, and thus, I wouldn't include it. That sort of stuff can come out in the interview process. Information like that doesn't modify my feelings one way or another towards an applicant... it simply consumes otherwise valuable space on a CV.

With 10 years of professional IT experience, 27 years of "messing around" with computers, and a list of certifications as long as my leg, my resume is still only one page long (including a few logos). Best of all, it works.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. laup

laup Byte Poster

Sorry to hijack the thread but ive seem to be not even gettin to bloody interviews with mine could u lot have a look at mine also :>
    My tutor says im making myself unemployable because ive done quite alot in so little time.

Attached Files:

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  18. BosonMichael

What does he mean by "done quite a lot"? Gotten lots of jobs? Done lots of certifications?

19. laup

laup Byte Poster

the fact of doing quite a few certs with no job experience really.
    in the 6 months ive been there.

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  20. BosonMichael

Well, the CCNA is all well and good... but you're not going to find an entry-level job that requires it. Your tutor is right to a degree - you DO need to get out and get real-world experience... not more certs, and not more training.

But let's assume for a moment that you did find an employer who was interested in your CCNA skills. Which do you think they would be interested in... the fact that you passed the CCNA exam, or the fact that you took Cisco Academy CCNA Semesters 1-4?