My CV. Criticism please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by alexdc12, Feb 1, 2011.

1. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Here is my cv, just wanted some constructive criticism! I have always been involved with IT from a youg age but never pursued a career in it until now so my cv looks crap for a IT job i feel, i have been in the construction trade since, but with a few other jobs in between, i.e chef, courier, asbestos surveyor and all sorts! A lot of these jobs i've left out because they werent lengthy positions.
    Let me know what you think guys
    Thanks in advance

btw the uploader doesnt allow .docx files, says invalid file type :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. zet

zet Byte Poster

Your CV needs some work, try to put some more detail into the roles you have listed and remove your address/contact details when posting on a public forum.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps ditch this bit mate, does not read well.

Change the personal statement as well, try and show you want a career change and have taken some certs to start this process...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

I dont wanna bore with the facts like i used to knock up plaster or load out bricks! I find it like they wud see my cv and be like how can a builder be a presentable IT Person?

5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

How would i word this im not to clever at wording things without making it sound longwinded and sometimes repetitive!

6. zet

zet Byte Poster

What you need to do is talk about aspects of your job that would relate to working in IT. Now, you may not have direct IT expereince however you should talk about aspects like working with others, dealing with customers as these are relevant skills to have in the IT industry.

Whenever I attended an interview I would be questioned on my part-time job (primark) which had no relevance to the technical side of IT however it demonstrated that I was capable of a) working with others b) working in a team environment

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  7. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Got ya! cheers :D

Is this better?

August 2009 – To Date – 24/7 Interiors – Multi-tradesman
    Starting off as a labourer I quickly escalated to a multi skilled tradesman. Latterly I have been given responsibility for project managing jobs. My skills now include partitioning, ceiling fixing, kitchen fitting, tiling, painting, some carpentry. Additionally I have basic plumbing knowledge. I had to work on my own and as part of a successful team working to tight deadline's and liaising with customers should any problems arise on site. I also had to deal with suppliers on the phone with regards to deliveries.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Here u reviewed all the jobs and uploaded a new cv, i think it just sounds like im waffling on???

Attached Files:

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I notice that we've got a recruitment consultant as a member now.

In the interests of community spirit, I'm wondering if he'd like to start providing some comments on all these CVs we get...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD