My borthers PC again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 29, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well I got a call the other day from my brother saying his PC is taking about 20 minutes to boot as you may remmeber I got rid of one of those ccbill popups that kept showing itself and about 20 other viruses. His PC is around 5 years old.

Would it still be possible for me to upgrade it or am I better to tell him to get shot of it and use his new laptop instead?

The sate the PC was in last time I saw it it was a complete mess with registry errors, adware, greyware, and malware although I got rid of them all could all of those caused permanent damage to his PC?

As from what he has told me its completely knackered.

He has told me he doesnt mind if it needs scrapped as long as I can get some files of it to put on his laptop.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's only one problem with telling him to use his new laptop instead...

...within days/weeks, his laptop will be filled with malware.

The problem isn't the hardware... it's the usage of the hardware. If your brother doesn't change the behavior that caused him to get the malware in the first place, malware will continue to be a problem for him.

You'd be surprised what a clean install will do for the speed of an old system. Techies don't do a clean install on their home box every couple of years (or less) just for kicks, ya know. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee

I did try to explain to him how to use his PC to keep it safe from malware etc but unfortunately he has young children who I think go on all sorts of dodgy sites so trying to keep them in check may be hardest thing to do. I doubt he had any parental control software on it but when I look at it I am going to have a look at histroy logs and see what sort of sites are being looked at and see if I can find some software to filter out any of the crap.

This is probably another example of the average joe who has absolutely no idea about safe computer usage, but also the same type of people who as soon as you start explaining a good way to keep safe online etc that it goes in one ear and out the other.

I am having a look at it tommorow after work and I'll see whats what then, I just hope he does have some disks as a fresh install sounds about the best way to get it up and running again.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Fresh install sounds good mate. It could probably do with a RAM upgrade as well as PCs that old could ship with 256MB when XP first came out.

Put some decent AV on it, give the kids a limited user account and perhaps get some web filtering software as well.

If you can try and get a copy of Service Pack 3 for XP, the guys at your work might get a Technet subscription, this will mean you wont have to wait for hours downloading patches for the OS after the clean install. Again as the PC is so old the media might not have any service packs on it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

it does have mccafee on it but when I looked at it the last time there hadn't been a definition upgrade for months plus his wireless software had no encryption on it but I sorted that out last time so I am not sure what I will find when I see it.

6. Sparky

Hopefully it isnt the original OS that shipped with the PC, it probably hasnt been updated since the free trial finished. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

For a quick and easy solution to block websites do the following;

a) Make a list of the URL's you want to ban.
    b) On the pc navigate to %systemroot%\drivers\etc
    c) Open the Hosts file using Notepad
    d) For each URL create an entry pointing to 127.0.0.1 as follows

127.0.0.1 naughtysite.com #Add a comment here if you want

Now when users try to access the site it will point to the localhost on the machine and will not actually load anything.

I also find this a great way to prevent annoying advertisement windows that load when you access some web sites.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. Sparky

Quick and easy? :blink

Surely you would have to type hundreds of URLS? :biggrin

9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well it depends how may you have!

But as a no-cost solution it works. :biggrin

10. greenbrucelee

no doubt there would be a lot to block, I 'll have a look and maybe get my brother to buy some software that does all that, cos I can't be arsed typing a million lines in notepad.

Its ok Stoney My brother earns over 50k a year he isn't short of cash.

11. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well in that case I think you should persuade him to shell out on some software to manage it for him. :biggrin

12. greenbrucelee

yeah I'll have a look for some.

13. BosonMichael

Just as long as he knows that all your work will eventually be for naught if the behavior continues, regardless of whose behavior it is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You could always advise your brother to put on a system boot password and then watch/parent his kids while they are on the net.
    Then they "shouldnt" be on dodgy sites.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

or you could just install ubuntu and show them where firefox is ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  16. Sparky

Dont be crazy man! :biggrin

17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

An idea might be to buy a new cheapie system for the kids to use. Something that will give them Net access, but stored data is not as important. Then when things start to look bad, it's just a reinstall with little thought to what's being lost.

18. greenbrucelee

actually I was going to advise my brother to use his laptop and only he use it and let the kids use the knackered pc and when it gives up it gives up.

19. greenbrucelee

I think he goes on the dodgy sites too :hhhmmm

I think that would confuse the hell out of him :blink

20. BosonMichael

Use this as a learning experience for yourself: prepare an image of the computer in a "clean" state. Then, when the kids mess it up, just reimage the computer.