my 2gb capable laptop wont work when i install 2gb

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by leeroy2612, Mar 25, 2009.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

howdi peeps

i have a toshiba equium A100-549 that comes with 1gb but can hold 2gb.
    i decided to bump it up to 2gb so ordered a 1gb stick off line after checking on both the toshibe and pc world web site to check which type of ram to get and both said 1GB PC2-4300 DDR2 Memory (533MHz), so thats what i ordered. the first mistake i made was ASSUMING that as my laptop had 2 slots and had 1gb in already that, that meant that i had 1 slot spare... wrong, it had 2 512s so i had to buy another as 1.5gb didnt really make any difference. anyway to cut a strange story short, i now have 2 brand new 1gb sodimms that work perfectly fine SEPERATELY but if i put them in together, the laptop just keeps failing at post and keeps trying again and again but not booting. the only difference between the the old 512s and the new 1gbs is that the 512s ars pc2-4200 and the 1gb are pc2-4300. ive spoken to both pc world and toshiba and the TECHNICAL support have absolutely no idea why thet wont work. coinsidently i can also put a 512 and a 1 gb in together and this also works fine, and i have tried them in all the possible variations and the only one that doesnt work is when i try it with both the 1gb together. sorry if this is a bit long but i wanted to answer all the obvious questions to save you guys time. please help

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

when you put the new ram in did you make sure it was in correctly?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

yes because they both work fine on there own

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only thing I can think of is that if you mix the PC2-4200 with the PC2-4300, the laptop clocks down the faster ram so it works. By putting in 2 x PC2-4300 the laptop tries to run both sticks at the faster rate that the laptop can't handle and fails.

Have you tried upgrading the BIOS to support newer/faster ram?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

good thinking bat man! no i didnt think of that. i have a look into that and see what happens