Musicmatch won't open?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, Jun 28, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

A friend of mine just called me, he lives far away from me, he says that all of a sudden, Musicmatch is not opening either whenh he clicks on it's icon on his desktop or when he clicks on any music file in his music folder, it was working fine the last time he used it and so now he doesn't have a clue why this is happening, what can I tell him to look into before having to either do a system restore or reinstall musicmatch?

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

is the icon on his desktop still linked to the executable?

has he installed anything else that may have changed the music file associations e.g on 26/6/6 .mp3 .mid played on musicmatch then he installed winamp on 27 / 6 / 6 and all of his music files are now associated with WinAmp?

3. mikehende

I'll ask in another hour or so when he's home, just to make sure but as far as I can tell he hasn't done anything since he last used Musicmatch, will let you know. BTW, how can he check to see if the icon is still linked to the exe?

4. Mr.Cheeks

if that icon is the shortcut to the program, then right click on the shortcut, click on properties, under the shortcut tab, the target is shown or if you click on Find Target then it will open a window and have the .exe file highlighted..

BTW: when you say as far as you can tell: are you remote access his pc?

5. mikehende

ok got it, thanks, will know in another 45 minutes or so, if he's home.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And can I (without putting anybody down) present the major cry that goes up when this sort of problem happens:

"I didn't do anything".

I even heard this cry from someone who later admitted that they had wiped and re-installed....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. mikehende

Well, after checking into everything discussed here and seeing no reason why it wasn't opening, found out that he had Musicmatch minimized in the Taskbar so it could not be opened by clicking on the desktop icon or the exe, oh well, all's well with him now.

8. Mr.Cheeks

9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

D'oh! :ohmy

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270