Music Recording Machine! (Help...)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Nathandio, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Nathandio

Nathandio New Member

:biggrin Hey guys and gals
    Just wondering if anyone can help me... other than spending too much time taking computers to bits and then trying to put them back together i also enjoy playing the guitar and I want to build a computer powerful enough to do some recording on. Can anyone provide me with a set of good specs to get me started? I’m looking for something that will record, process and mix the tracks with ease.
    Your help is greatly appreciated
    Rock n Roll
    Nathan

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Have you got a budget?

Some recording equipment can be quite expensive... http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/digidesign-hd3-pcie-pro-tools-8-hd-core-system--30760 :D

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I can run multi-track mixing on my ageing 3.1GHz Celeron with 512MB RAM without any problems, until I try to use too many plug-ins.
    Look at the specs for Cubase5 for example, 2 GHz dual core and 1GB of RAM. Hardly outrageous.
    I'd be surprised if you didn't already own a machine that could handle audio production no problem, perhaps with a little RAM upgrade.
    I'd then spend the money I saved where it's really needed, on audio interfaces, good monitors, decent mics etc

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Nathandio

Nathandio New Member

Cheers guys'
    i forgot to mention that i'm building a new machine for the house anyway so that is one of the requirments and i think the budget will be about £500.
    Soundian what SW do you use and can you give me a list of some good mid range equipment: Mics, monitors, etc
    Nath

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

At don't know much about the budget end of the market unfortunately so I can't really advise you on equipment. Your best bet is to find some websites where they take the time and trouble to review home/semi-pro equipment properly.
    At home I use Krystal mainly for "sketches" and dialogue, Nuendo if I need decent editing capabilities and SAW if I just need to mix. In the studio I'll use whatever they've got.

6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Most modern computers can do basic recording and mixing. It depends on exactly what you're planning on doing. FireWire is generally the recommended port to use for recording, but my Macbook does fine with USB. What software are you planning on using?

7. Nathandio

Nathandio New Member

Not really sure Bosun,
    To be honest i am a complete newb when it comes to recording. Can you suggest any good SW?

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you're a complete newb then you could do a lot worse than Kristal to begin with. A free 16 track recorder/mixer. The main components of the GUI and the tools available are similar to more complex programs, and it has all the essential tools without swamping you with complex menus.
    Audio recording is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. You'll need to have some decent kit before your software is the weakest link.

9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Audacity is a free and open-source recording software package that gets good reviews. I've also heard a lot of good things about Reaper software, which is a fairly inexpensive route to go. Garageband, which comes with all Macs, is a good piece of software as well.