Multiple share names

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just started to read Chapter 9 in the MS Press 270 Kit. :)

I thought the reason behind creating multiple share names was to give the *basic* share permissions a bit more configuration, but alas i cannot see how..

I just created a folder named *share*. I then created permissions for it. I then added a new share name *share2* with different permissions but it doesn't make any difference :blink

Regardless of what you select on the drop down field it is still displayed as the original name.

Is this because i am viewing the folder on the machine i created it on and not over the network or because i have had one too many beers! :morebeer

Still doesn't explain (to me) why using the search pup doesnt display the two names the folder is named.

Oh, one more thing (!) where is the long winded comment i added to the folder?

Simon (Uncle Sams Boston Burger and lots of Guiness :) )

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Boyce you need to access the shares over a network to see the two show up and to test the permissions *or* you can follow the Network neighbourhood path on the local machine by clicking through My network places > entire network > MS windows network > domain/workgroup > computer name > share and you will see them both.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Or just \\computername.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks Guys :thumbleft.

Simon (minus the Boston and Guiness) :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT