Multimedia Technician

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by TechBoy, Feb 11, 2011.

1. TechBoy

TechBoy Bit Poster

Hi,
    Got a interview in a few days regarding a multimedia technician job for local council. Just wondering if any of you have ever had interview for this kind of position and would appreciate it if you can give me some hints and tips?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: Comptia A+ (2009), MCDST
    WIP: Comptia Network+, MCAS
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Not entirely sure what a multimedia technician may entail - does it say on job description main sort of work you'll be doing?

with the interview, prepare! read up on anything you're unsure of from the job description. ask yourself questions you're not sure about and make sure you know exactly what the role is about.

I imagine they'll ask some technical questions, dependant upon the role description, so be prepared for those.

Good luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

HI TechBoy

Is it based in a school? I am a school Network Manager and this is how my interview went...

It was a panel of head teacher, deputy head, bursar (school manager), 2 members of school governors and the head of the councils ICT department (when answering questions make a point tfo looking each one in the eye, but direct about 50% of your eye contact with the person who asked the question).

They all asked questions relevant to their experience, ie.. the head of ICT asked about technology, the bursar asked about budgeting, etc...

If it is a school based, your certs will impress them enough to confirm your technical ability, but when you talk you will need to reference that you are familiar with the latest apple technology (even if you’re not, you may need to emphasise that its new and exciting, yet familiar and friendly (mac os is just Linux in a fancy suit pretending to be windows) but don't say this if there’s a Multimedia Teacher in the room, Multimedia Teachers think the Mac is a magic box of unlimited power that no earthly being can possibly comprehend :eek:.

Talk about Interactive Whiteboards (they are just basically graphics tablets) and projectors (same technology as a CRT monitor, you’ll need to clean the filters every 6 months, and the bulb will go after about 3 years – the bulbs cost more than the projectors, so it’s usually best to buy a new projector – mention that you or a contact of yours spent £400 on a new bulb for a projector, only for it to blow up as the projector was faulty, projectors only cost £300 and come with a bulb).

Throw into the conversation that you like to mess around with HTML & Photoshop, to create websites, (mention that you are reading a book about creating world class word-press templates and say this is very similar to the moodle CMS that schools seem to be crazy about – they’ll understand) etc...
    You may want to mention apple final cut studio or express (point and click video editing), green screens and HD cameras, flash animation etc...

Basically the job isn’t that technically demanding, but they will want someone who can make a movie, and play about with technology (mention iphone apps), they will also be looking for someone who is not afraid to read a forum about macs when you’re stuck.

Also they will want positive energy, the more energetic the better (think hyperactive) – get a can of red bull down your neck before you go in, and replace negative words with positive words such as problem = challenge, etc...

You may think that this is blagging, it’s not (if you’ve ever recorded a video on your phone and uploaded to you tube then you know this, just be confident), they will have a list of keywords (i-phone, HTML, Mac, etc..), and tick them off as you mention them. You’ll also have to mention YouTube, facebook and things like that (basically all the technology we like to play with at home). 8)

You may need to help out with active directory etc, so tell them about the certs you are studying for, but make sure you get the creativity side of computing into the conversation as much as possible – and get excited about it...

If it’s not school based and council based and they’ve offered you an interview, as long as you turn up in a suit with your certs (and talk about rugby) the jobs yours (why spend the day interviewing 5 people when you can interview 1 or 2 then have an early lunch)? – I worked for a local council’s ICT department for a few years before my current job and they’ll want someone who is technically competent and who the existing team can get on with (someone who’s not going to make things difficult for them or not do their fair share of work).

Good Luck - and remeber to relax and be confident.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

+Rep cosyway :thumbleft

lol @ comment about the mac's - my first IT job was a junior tech at one of the city academy schools in Bristol - and i can relate so much to that, we had a few classes with about 10 mac's in them - and the teachers wouldn't let you near them, god forbid you try and troubleshoot them cos you only know PC's! :mrgreen:

5. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

lol - Last summer I installed windows 7 as a dual boot os (bootstrap) onto the brand new macs in a new MM room I was fitting out, anyway I forgot all about it untill recently.

I got a call from a MM teacher saying they couldn't find some mac software. They'd been using windows 7 for the past 6 months and was convinced that its was the new mac os. They even told me how much better the new mac os is and how much windows 7 has tried to rip it off. :cry:

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

LOL!

I take it that there's still that divide between teachers / support staff ? - when i was working at the school i used to side with the kids against the teachers - never used to have any trouble off the kids from then on lol.

7. TechBoy

TechBoy Bit Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Certifications: Comptia A+ (2009), MCDST
    WIP: Comptia Network+, MCAS