Multicasting

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just looking into multicasting and mdhcp I understand the concepts of it all but none of my books as far as I can see give me an applied example other than some applications use it. Could anyone tell me what applications would use multicasting addresses as the only things I can guess at are things like netmeeting and general video conference calling applications.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Routing protocols, for one example. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Har De Har!

Really though from what i've read clients can automatically get and drop multicast addesses and I really can only think of something like netmeeting where on a local lan the same video/voice data is pumed to the multicast broadcast and the joined clients receive the data? Is that right or am I reading the books wrong (I wouldnt be surprised!)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

ah cool thanks for the linky just seen that our zen imaging software supports multicasting too.

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This links prob a bit more relevant and explanatory, I'm not a networks bod so I only half understand it myself having only worked with Oracle and Weblogic clusters !

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782694.aspx

I just love the phrase, 'Broadcast Storm' ! Makes me think of Michael Fish !

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Multicasting is used for any app that needs data to be sent to several end-points. So instead of sending several unicasts from initial source to destination (adding congestion on the network resources) multicast lets you avoid most of the excessive redundancy.

So like you mentioned video conferencing (with mutiple end users) is a good example. Others might include:
    - audio/video streaming
    - Training / Lectures (i.e. Distributed Classrooms)
    - IPTV
    - etc...

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well obviosly ones for point to point like a telephone call.

Anothers for broadcast like a radio station, one transmitter, multiple recievers.

The exact applications vary, as the last link points out its possible to implement either over the other its just a question of efficiency.

For example I can put a personal note in the Times if i'm a spy, but its a wasteful use of a broadcast medium.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I was being serious! :D EIGRP uses 224.0.0.10, RIPv2 uses 224.0.0.9, and OSPF uses 224.0.0.5 and .6.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!