Multi-vendor setups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeP, Apr 9, 2010.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Are there any possible problems with multi-vendor setups?

After a lot of research and trying to fit within the budget we have to make a decision what to buy.

We're looking at implementing 2 host Hyper-V cluster with iSCSI storage.
    All hardware comes with the same tech specs:
    Servers:
    Quad Core Xeon E5530, 32 GB RAM, 2 x 146GB SAS (RAID 1), 6 NICs, redundant PSU's.

Storage:
    Redundant PSU, redundant controller, 7 x 300GB SAS

In few months time we will have budget to stick additional CPU and RAM per server (if needed) as well as additional spindles into the SAN.

We're looking at Dell PowerEdge R710 vs Fujitsu RX300 S5 servers and Dell MD3000i vs Fujitsu DX60 storage.

Personally I like Dell servers more than Fujitsu servers. Lights out management seems better, plenty of information on the internet, better build quality, better looking.
    What I don't like is Dell storage as it's about 3 years old now so I'd expect it to go EOL soon. Fujitsu storage offers much more (hardware snapshots, encryption, spin down).

So I would like to go for Dell servers and Fujitsu storage. Are there any potential problems with setup like that?
    I don't think there are, but I have to convince my superior that the setup is going to work before I'll get the purchase order signed off.

What do you think?

Thanks

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I dont know about those particular pieces of equipment.

However, i dont see any problem with mixing vendors along as you have done your homework. If you use the same vendor then if you have issues between two pieces of equipment the issues are more likely to be known to the vendor and easier for the vendor to support you.

Of course many large places use the same vendor throughout because of support contracts and different retail channels etc which makes it cheaper and easier to manage.

I would say, if your using iSCSI i would make sure you have a good switch(s) (redundancy) for that iSCSI traffic between the storage and servers

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks.

We will be connecting storage directly to the servers (not via switch(es)). Storage comes with dual controllers with 2 ports each, so each server will connect to 1 port of each controller.

We have plans to get 2 switches from the next year's budget as that gives a benefit of MPIO.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I don't know the cost of either the Dell or Fujitsu SAN's but if I were you I wouldn't discount the likes of NetApp or Nexsan as SAN providers.

One thing I would perhaps look at would be to use hardware based iscsi initiators rather than on software based ones, that way you're taking the onus off the server os to process iscsi traffic and putting it onto the hardware.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Simon.

I'm looking at NetApp and Nexsan as I type.
    iSCSI HBA's are out of range (£900 each for dual port one) at the moment.

Both Dell and Fuji SANs come to about £5500 including SAS drives and redundant PSUs and controllers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010