Multi region DVD cracker software

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Salutations everybody

Does anybody know if there is any multi-region DVD software available as freeware, or is this sort of thing legitimate programming that needs to be purchased. I don't mind buying it, but obviously if I can download some and save myself a few groats then all the better. (I'm using PowerDVD on PC at the moment)

Thanks

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

er, dont know of any freeware but DVD region free is what i use, but you have to pay for that...

3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I've just downloaded something called DVDIdle which apparently acts as a region free and prolongs DVD drive life span by reducing spin cycles of the DVD through caching. However, I downloaded DVD RegionFree as it didn't say anything about it being a trial software, but it only lets you watch films for 15 minutes at a time, hence why I am slightly skeptical to try out DVDIdle

Oh well, if it needs buying then so be it.

Cheers Cheeks

4. Mr.Cheeks

i found the link but its no longer avaliable... with all software its down to trial and error unless you know someone who has used the software and can recommend it.

5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

If you're talking about DVDIdle, I thin kyou just need to look around from where the download site is based. I think it's been deemed illegal in Finland and countries around that way, but not in others, I'll try and go back to the site I got it from and find the link

By the way, I can't decide if I'm disturbed or entertained by your avatar. Top stuff!!!!

6. Mr.Cheeks

was referring to DVD region-free...

keep hunting around and let us know of your progress...

edit: can you not hunt for a hack for your dvd-player?

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I noticed the possibility of hacking, but I don't know enough about it yet to do that. I will try out DVDIdle tonight and let you know tomorrow what it was like.

By the way, found it on this site, it has shedloads of programmes, patches and downloads

MOD EDIT SG: Link temporarilly removed pending moderator discussion.

8. Mr.Cheeks

brill - some really good progz there...

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What make/model drive do ya have?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Blimey, now your asking, I think it's a Pioneer DVD drive, not sure of the model, I've had it for about 5 years or so

11. Mr.Cheeks

device manager > hardware and the dvd drives details are under dvd/cd drives

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

like thecheeks says, DVD Region-Free is your best bet. I have it...its a very old version from about 3yrs ago. It works very well. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Yeah, I had all the information up yesterday as I was trying to work out a way to bypass the region setter (trying to watch a Region 1) but didn;t note anything down.

I'll give Idle a go and see how that fares, if not I'll take your advice and get the DVD RegionFree

Thanks chaps, muchos obligos as ever

14. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

WIP: A+ Network+
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I think DVDShrink removes region encoding. It's definitely free anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  16. Mr.Cheeks

it removes the region from the disc, and dumps the contents on the harddrive. but it would be long winded to do all of that if he justs wants to watch the dvd.

17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Excellent, I'll give them a go

Tried DVDIdle last night. Not impressed.

For starters, it advertises it as a free programme. Balls to that, it's a 30 day trial.

Gave it a go and it did what it said on the tin, all good

Now at the same time I was removing startup programmes, and all I removed was some scanner software and MSN messenger. But for some inexplicable reason (which I think is linked to DVDIdle) my InCD stopped working and corrupted, which in turn buggered up my Nero software, so I spent the best part of 3 hours trying to find the fault, re-install Nero (which isn't easy as it's a pain in the 'arrables to uninstall) and get InCD fixed. Finally did that, then found that my main CD drive wasn't working. It would either refuse to read discs ('please nsert deic in deive E) or, if one was read, it coulnd't shake the identity of it e.g. I popped in a DVD, ran that fine, then put in a music CD, but it was trying to read it as a DVD and kept opening it in PowerDVD, same with CD-ROMs and games. All this went away when I uninstalled DVDIdle

Idle opens up whenever you launch any CD, so I think that could be the problem. This is the default setting but that can be altered to total manual operation, if I have time tonight, I'll try that and see if everything works with Idle disabled.

I was seriously acting like Cheeks avatar by the end of it

18. Mr.Cheeks

blimey - looks like you had some problems there...

have a play with these some freeware on the page but cant vouch for how good they are.

19. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would personally look into doing a firmware hack, its not that hard. Fair enough there is a chance ya will wreck ya drive, but ive never done that. And once its done ya can forget about it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  20. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Sounds both interesting and dubious at the same time

I've read a few things about that which highlighted the risks of doing so

Does this involve removal of the drive and working on it, or is it done via programming?

Thanks