MTA or other?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ndanvery, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ndanvery

ndanvery New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm actually a student and wanted to get certified so as to show my knowledge to my future employers.

But I'm actually struggling to find one that could get me started... I mean I've found Microsoft MTA series but as I live in France, there are no testing centres that offers MTA nearby and I can't afford to pay a 150km trip.

Then I have also thought of studying some MCTS certs, but wouldn't it be "inappropriate" for a student?

And at last, I've come upon the renewed A+ with the 802 Android and iOS configuring (that is not my cup of tea).

Well, any advice?
    Thanks guys :)

WIP: MTA 98-365 / Comptia A+
  2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'd advise study what you're most interested in. The MTAs are okay, and a good way to get a Microsoft Logo on the CV, but they're not that well known yet. You could get on with something else until they're viable.

I guess two questions that might help elicit some advice:
    1) What's you're degree in - what are your present skills, and what would complement your stufy?
    2) Where do you want to end up? Programming? Networking? PC Building?

The A+ is generally the best 'starter' cert, for most paths. Although a programmer or web-designer - for instance - probably wouldn't have that much use for it (from a career perpective, at least).

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  3. ndanvery

ndanvery New Member

I read that the MTAs do not expire, let's hope they will be viable soon then!

To answer your questions,
    1) I'm enrolled in a french engineer school that is not focus enough in Computer Science. I'm going to leave it and surely start a BCompSc next fall at one of Montreal's university. What I've learned of computer has primarly been self-taught. I have some skills in C# coding, along with ASP.NET MVC. I also like everything around pentesting (Metasploit, Nmap, ...).
    What I wanted to learn now thanks to 98-365 was some server knowledge...

2) I wanted to end up in IT security, but being a Server Admin would'nt be that bad IMO....
    What do you suggest? (You surely have much more experience than me ^^).

I really wanted to focus on Microsoft cert for now, maybe later for the A+.

WIP: MTA 98-365 / Comptia A+