MTA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE... Where do i start?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Haroon Mustafa, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hi,

I want to become more certified using Microsoft certifications.

I am wondering where to start?

For instance if i start with MTA IT fundamentals.
    Where do i do the exam? Where is the best place to buy the course materials from?

Thanks, as always any information would be greatly appreciated.

Haroon.

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

What certs do you currently have? People knock MTAs but they are good certs to go for to establish fundamental knowledge.. I learned a fair bit from studying for the MTA OS fundamentals exam (now retired) best thing about MTAs is whilst the exams may expire the certs dont.

3. Haroon Mustafa

I have a Cisco certification. It's called IT essentials. I completed it in College. Apart from that i have no other Cisco, or Microsoft Certifications.

I just got job providing support on Desktop and windows OS servers. What's a good Cert to start on? I know what I am doing with providing the support but i have been looking to get certification! Ideally in Microsoft.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Depends on your knowledge level, MCSAs are good ones but from what I've seen they are very advanced. If your not at this level possibly go for the MTAs but tbh if you're doing it just to look good on your CV I wouldnt bother with the MTAs, if you are doing it for the learning experience then yes they are worth it.

5. Haroon Mustafa

Thanks. Doing it for a bit of both to be honest! Improving my CV and gaining some knowledge. It's more of a money thing as well! Some courses are pretty expensive. I'll do some research and find a course I am interested in and check on here if its worth it.

Thanks Haroon

6. Haroon Mustafa

I am going to do MTA Windows Server Fundamentals (365) It is basic for me and i should complete it comfortably. However, it gives me a great insight to Microsoft Certifications. Also, i reckon i will learn a few things.

I will be booking the exam through Microsoft and taking the exam at a Pearson Vue test centre (maybe even at home)
    Where do i find the course learning materials? I cannot seem to find them on Microsoft. I am now assuming i use own techniques and so on... to be honest i thought Microsoft will provide them as i am paying 90 odd pounds. Unlike Cisco where they give everything needed:rake:

Thanks

7. KanduIT-Scott

KanduIT-Scott New Member

Amazon ???... I can't post a link at the moment but search for "
    Exam 98-365 MTA Windows Server Administration Fundamentals"

it's the only place I can think of straight away and as you have CISCO IT essentials you I think you'll be ok to follow the objectives from the book. you might get some videos on yotube etc, as backup material so thats worth checking. Hope you find something and good luck!

Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  8. Haroon Mustafa

I am looking forward to it!

It may be easy for me and could turn out useless as i might go on to MCSA Windows Server Fundamentals 410 straight after. Its just, i don't want to book 410 exam without knowing a thing about Microsoft certification.

Thanks

9. KanduIT-Scott

KanduIT-Scott New Member

No worries, with MS Certs, I've found that it never hurts to buy a book on it first, you might spend £25-30 but it always comes in useful and it's certainly better than paying for a course/exam on something that didn't suit. Might as well read up on it before booking and see if it is at least of interest.

10. Haroon Mustafa

That makes sense. I'll take a look at some books Amazon, eBay etc...

Thanks!

KanduIT-Scott likes this.
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I want to do that cert eventually I've not heard good things about the official MS book though.. check the reviews on amazon.

12. Haroon Mustafa

Right. Well I'll let you know if I buy one. Take a look at for yourself mate