msn super spy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by moominboy, Aug 26, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

does anyone else think that the amount and detail of the questions when installing xp, dont know about the earlier ones, is way too.... snoopy? why does bill gates feel the need to know your birthday? and ive just learned that win media player sends out id details to websites? :eek:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You can turn off that behavior in Windows Media Player someplace in Preferences. At least that's where I think it is. It's been a long time since I've used it.

As to all the questions asked on installs I answer only a very few of them. I give them nothing that isn't required. It's just another of the reasons I've migrated more toward Linux and away from MS.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. moominboy

yeah, i turned of the wmp and another one.... arlax? azlan? some kind of program like that. i didnt answer too many of them but why do they ask in the first place?

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What are you doing when you install XP?. I've never seen these types of questions when installing it. Are you talking about the registering process?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think he's talking about the registration process. This is the only place that I can think of where they ask questions like that.

Moominboy, if you don't want to answer these questions then you don't have to register you copy of XP. I usually just skip the registration stage and get on with the installation.

8)

6. moominboy

i just ignored most of them anyway, was just thinking tho how easy it is for ms to spy on us. im in no way an expert in it but i know there are people using pc's who know less than me and are unknowingly supplying ms with info.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the term overparanoid comes to play really
    dont you get it? most people would sell thier soul for a free chocolate bar, thats just the way it is

if you read the process you would realise a) its not mandatory, and b) I dont recall there being any benefits from it, c) most that info is already out there anyway, so I wouldnt go making a noise about it when you dont even HAVE to give it out in the first place

just my 2c, as i have never provided MS with that kind of information bar for my certs :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a case of information overload out there.
    Theres so many things for 'free' in exchange for personal details.
    Whenever I do an exam I get a little survey at the beginning or end, then I either get an email from Pearson or Microsoft a few days later asking me what I thought of it.

It's mad. What do people DO with all this information. It can't possible be useful as there is simply too much of it. Do Microsoft honestly care that out of all the people who bothered to register XP, 1.2% of them are over 20 and live in Luton? Surely these statisitcs are meaningless?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think if you look at Moominboys other post on installing XP he was installing with an recovery disc and I suppose it is this disc that is asking for all of these details rather than M$ XP.

Of course I could be wrong :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. moominboy

yeah it was a recovery disc aj, but i wouldn't have thought they'd ask anything different?

11. AJ

You'd be surprised. As the others said, ignore them and just answer the absolute minimum.

12. moominboy

yeah i only answered a few anyway, i actually meant to start a discussion on WHY they want to know so much.

13. AJ

Sorry m8 my bad.

Why do they want all this info, coz once they have your email addy, they can send you all sorts of spam and sell your addy onto other companies. That is unless you checked or unchecked the necessary boxes in the agreement.

14. moominboy

mean old microsoft! i really hate spam cos i get loads every day in yahoo, altho don't have to deal with it much ;)

15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

E Z Tiger, has somebody upset you today Ryan? Here a big CF hug :hug coming your way.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...