msconfig problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hey guys

Bit of a strange problem. I wanted to remove some unneccesary start up apps to speed up the start up sequence on my home computer (running windows xp prof), so i went through the normal process:

start->run->msconfig->startup->removed quicktime, etc

Now when I start up my PC, the task bar takes about a minute to load up :eek: (before this it was alot quicker).

Is this some sort of bug in xp? I restored to a previous system restore point before I made these changes and the taskbar loads alot quicker.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather depends on what you removed!

In many cases there are dependancies between the stuff started, so something may have been looking for one of the items that was removed, and waiting before a 'timeout' before giving up.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Wires_are_bad

I understand what you mean. I only removed limewire, quicktime, winzip and also office.

Could possibly be office that wasnt meant to be removed :dry Will see what happens if I leave it there.

Thanks for your reply :biggrin

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Limewire should be uninstalled properly rather than just removing the Run key.

Limewire seems always to be involved in all sorts of nasties every time I see it. You may want to also get hold of adaware and the trial of Ewido to remove any trojans on your computer. After that it may feel a lot faster!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Wires_are_bad

:blink Can you see the apps on my pc? How did you know I had installed ewido :biggrin

Think I'll just completely remove limewire though.