MSCE PART TIME, WHILE AT UNI.. POSSIBLE :S ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fredesere, Dec 8, 2008.

1. fredesere

fredesere New Member

HELLO
    I am currently applying to manchester university, to study IT management for Business, I was considering doing, a part time MSCE while im at university, as i have studied CCNA 1 and CCNA2 and have the certificates, I intend to complete CCNA3 and CCNA4 so i am fully CCNA qualified, would it be possible to do the MSCE part time while at university ? and if so would my degree and my CCNA and MSCE qualifications aid me in the future ? im quite young just trying to plan ahed, since most of you have been through this, advice me pleaseeee :)

Thanks
    Fred

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do you have any IT experience?

Remember professional IT certifications are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities and not there as a substitute for experience.

If you don't have any IT experience, I would strongly recommend the A+, Network+ & the MCDST - even if you have a degree already. You'd be surprised how much you'll learn :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id prob go no further than MCSA with your certification, but there is no reason why you shouldnt study the MCSE core and design objectives if you have the time.

Have you considered contacting a bunch of companies, explaining you are doing Uni and will be looking for work upon graduation and seeing what these employers are looking for.

Generally certs without the prerequisite experience (1 year for MCSA smaller networks, similar but larger networks for MCSE) get classed as paper certs and thus are unsubstantiated, but if you do well on the degree i see no reason why an MCSA would look bad.

Then again will you have time to do well on your uni course and do these as well?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Enjoy the beer at uni mate, you are only young once! :biggrin

Go for the MCSE later on...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

IMO it will be a struggle. As sparky said, enjoy it! You will probs find you won't have time or cant be assed to study for MCSA etc when the women and beer presents itself ;)

If you want to study something go for the A+ N+ which are electives of current MCSA anyway. + Network + will probably be useful for your university studying. Also as others have said you need the experiance or your a guy with all the certs but no actual real world living as such.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.