msce or ccna ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by uncle bernie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. uncle bernie

uncle bernie New Member

Hello all - im a newbie to the forum.

i have been looking for a new career path for sometime and have been offered a free training package with skills train - through a familly member.

so i am planning on completeing the A+ and N+ then trying to find a entry level support job to gain some experience.

The problem i have is my next decision ! because the course is free i might aswell have the MSCE/MSCA or CISCO training added on. i think if i was paying for the course myself i would just buy the A+ and N+ for now and then i could make a much better decision later on down the line when i have some experience. But i need to pick soon as its free to me now.

I dont think skills train offer the MCDST - wich is a shame.

so im totally lost on wich to pick between MCSE/MCSA or cisco.

would anyone have any thoughts or advice on wich one i should pick being new I.T ?

or where i could research the different certs in greater detail ?

many thanks

uncle bernie

WIP: A+, N+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Either would be a bit of a waste without some experience first tbh.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If it's free do whatever interests you more.

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good plan on the A+ & Network+

I agree. Added to that, there is a growing trend where IT Manager's are disregarding the higher level certs if the experience doesn't match, see this thread.

Plus on the MS side:

And that's not entry level.

On the Cisco side, the CCNA expires every 3 years. And the chances that anyone will walk straight into a job administering Cisco kit is highly unlikely. Plus the employer that you end up working for may not even use Cisco kit.

On the employment side, you may end up working in a Apple or Linux environment, with Junos or HP network hardware in. Do the A+ & Network+, you can always self-study for the MCDST which will cost you next to nothing (compared to using other methods), but until you get your foot in the door, forget about the higher level certs :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

im in the same boat as the op - i can get a cisco or mcse or mcsa or whatever it is.

At first i was leaning toward the ccna because looking at the subjects it seemed moer interesting - also i got the impression that ccna was more routing and mcsa was more servers (routing interests me more at a glance).

I know that with no experiance these arnt useful certs cos tehy deal with server and router management stuff HOWEVER.....the mcsa has a windows vista section - considering that the A+ and N+ dont cover it - would this be a feather in my cap?

If so - could I take the exam and get some printed proof that i have taken and passed it - and just use that on its own - without getting the full cert?

Certifications: A+ N+
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Enlighten me, how does this 'free' training work? How closely related do I have to be, webbed feet ? How can a company give something 'worth £7000' away for free ? Does your family member work for free ?

7. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

well......I lied.

I payed £700 for a package that includes A+ N+ CCNA and MCSE.

Iv almost finished teh A+ and N+ and thats all i need to start looking for a job so im happy - Iv got all the material for the certs and I fully intend to read tehm for my own interest at some stage but if any benifit can be had from getting the last 2 certs tehn i will get them too

Certifications: A+ N+