MSc in Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by darrenwis, Feb 24, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

In my recent posts I have talked about studying an MSc this September, and it is a subject that keeps creeping up in my mind! Instead of me mentioning it in each thread i thought i would post this in a plee for any advice.

I currently hold a BSc and am working towards the A+ and N+ (possibly MCDST aswell).

My plan was to spend a year studying the MSc in Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance while volenteering to any business or charities to provide I.T. support.

The MSc seems really interesting looking at information security and privacy aswell as Networking, Systems and Software. Here is the link to the course materials

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/degreeprogrammes/postgraduate/SISIA/courseinfo/

Please could I have your views on this and will it help me get into the I.T. industry and progress accordingly.

I'm 23 now and at the moment have no children/family commitments so I am thinking is it best to do something like this when I am young, but only if it will benefit me.

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

In the end it's upto you. Just way up the costs involved with uni, the starting wages in IT are a bit crap these days unless your lucky enough to get on a graduate scheme so if you get into debt it could take a while for you to pay them off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you have to ask yourself what you will achieve by taking a Masters now.

Maybe you'd be better off getting into IT and seeing how your career develops so that you can take higher qualifications later in life when your career becomes more defined.

Having said that, it does look a good course.

Why not have a word with the Department at the Uni and see what they offer by way of connections with businesses during and after the course ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Only you can answer that. Me personally I'm looking to do my Masters in the next few years part-time as I want to move up to upper management some point in my life as the jobs that I'm looking at, most of them, state Masters or equivalent.

For an entry level person, it's really down to them. Not everyone who becomes a graduate/post-grad gets accepted onto the graduate training scheme and if you look on the Guardian's job site for Graduates, currently there is only 353 vancancies - with only a handful in IT.

IMO, I would do the A+, Network+ and the MCDST, but start sending out your CV/cover letter now. You've got 7 months to make up your mind and a lot can happen within that time.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you want to get into management, a Masters degree might help you out. But if you want to be a tech, a Masters degree isn't really going to help. A Masters degree isn't automagically going to qualify you to work in network security or to perform server administration.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!