MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error - OIS.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by supag33k, Aug 3, 2006.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I am trying to help one of my users to view JPEG files using MS Picture Manager on a PC running XP sp2 with Office 2003, and Picture Manager begins to load up and then gives the following error:

---

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error

Program C:\Progra~1\Micros~1\Office11\ois.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please Contact the applications support team for more information

---

I cannnot find any details of where to contact the support team.

I have done the following with no improvement:

1. Run a Repair of the Office installation

2. Installed MS Office Service Pack 2 - all other patches for Office and WinXP are up to date.

3. Run virus/spyware scans with tools from multiple vendors.

4. Changed JPEG file association to use MS Paint - was able to open JPEG attachments with no problems.

5. A complete un-install/re-install of Office fixed the problem, but it's popped back up again and re-installing Office every few
    weeks is not an option.

6. Interestingly the picture manager runs okay as administrator just not as a domain user on that machine [mine or the user in question]. The user can run picture manager on another PC just fine....I reset the permissions on the PM exe and it still does not work. :blink

7. I have tried some fixes relating to temp folders and the Direct X side of things for hardware acceleration [set the display slider to lower spec etc] but that does not appear to resolve the problem.

A search of newsgroups found other users with an identical problem, but no-one appears to have found a resolution.

I am tending to think that the users need modify permissions on the C++ runtime so the picture manager runs correctly - but not sure how to do this...:blink

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

btw I will be around here more once home and work demands stabilise abit in a few weeks time...

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, a quick Google of the error message found this, but I think you've probably tried what it suggests.

Other than that, I'm stumped. :(

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

So the program works perfectly when logged in locally to the machine but not as a domain user? If so, sounds like something is stopping the service from running when logged on the domain. You might need to contact the person who manages the domain.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that probably is SupaG! :biggrin

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ooops :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT