MS TMG or ISA 2006

Discussion in 'Security Exams' started by morph, Jan 26, 2011.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Hi Guys

havent been around for a while - im having to look at MS TMG or ISA 2010, been looking around for books on it but cant seem to find very much apart from one book - does anyone have anything on this ?

hope your all groovy

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

ISA 2010 doesn't exist, it's only TMG or UAG (essentially ISA was broken into two different products, Threat Management Gateway and Unified Access Gateway, UAG comes with TMG as part of the product).

What exactly is it you're wanting to do?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

Im bascially looking for an admin book on TMG - just sort of taking me through it - i've set up a few things on it, but want to have a bit more of an in depth walk thought if you know what i mean :)

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then ideally you need to get this book

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. morph

morph Byte Poster

Ah thanks Simon - i was looking at that one - just bought it - thanks again!

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Was browsing some old topics and came upon this one...

Maybe I misunderstood your post, because my understanding is that TMG and UAG are relatively separate products?

Are you stating that if you license TMG, you get UAG on top? I don't know all of our licensing terms as they're quite confusing, so I can't comment on that...

But if you meant that UAG was a light version of TMG, and that TMG could do everything that UAG does, then that I think is not quite true (but feel free to correct me... I don't know everything).
    For example, the following doc has a table describing what you can publish Exchange 2010 wise in TMG and UAG, and apparently you cannot do quite the same things in both: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3e-c910-4c97-ab22-59e91421e022&displaylang=en

Code:
    ¦-----------------------------------------------------------------¦-----¦-----¦
    ¦Exchange Related Deployment Scenario or Feature	          ¦ TMG ¦ UAG ¦
    ¦Publish Microsoft Office Outlook Web App and the Exchange        ¦  x  ¦  x  ¦
    ¦Control Panel (ECP) using forms-based authentication             ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦                                                                 ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦Publish Outlook Anywhere using Basic or NTLM authentication      ¦  x  ¦  x  ¦
    ¦Publish Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync using Basic authentication ¦  x  ¦  x  ¦
    ¦Provide load balancing for HTTP-based protocol accessing from    ¦  x  ¦  x  ¦
    ¦the Internet                                                     ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦Support two-factor authentication for Outlook Web App            ¦  x  ¦  x  ¦
    ¦Support two-factor authentication for Exchange ActiveSync        ¦  x  ¦     ¦
    ¦Provide certificate-based authentication for EAS, OWA and ECP    ¦  x  ¦     ¦
    ¦Perform mail hygiene for Exchange with installation of the Edge  ¦  x  ¦     ¦
    ¦role and Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server ¦     ¦     ¦	 
    ¦Protect and filter Internet access for internal users from       ¦  x  ¦     ¦
    ¦malware and other web-based threats                              ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦Provide support for scaled up Outlook Anywhere deployments by    ¦     ¦  x  ¦
    ¦using multiple ource IP addresses                                ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦Check a client computer accessing Outlook Web App for presence   ¦     ¦  x  ¦
    ¦of approved antivirus software, updates, etc.                    ¦     ¦     ¦
    ¦Thoroughly clean up the client following an Outlook Web App      ¦     ¦  x  ¦
    ¦session with settings configurable by the admin                  ¦     ¦     ¦

I should probably speak to my fellow TMG/UAG colleagues for clarification. I really should learn at least TMG by the looks of it =\

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm with Shinigami here
    the two products are not just ISA2006 split in half
    TMG still does practically everything that ISA 2006 did, and then some

UAG is the replacement to IAG2006, and does some of the stuff ISA and TMG can manage, but is designed specifically for those purposes
    namely, its a remote access/intelligent app gateway
    it does SSL VPN, reverse proxy, and application publishing (although not to the level TMG can because it's not an all out firewall)
    it can also handle DirectAccess and act as a 6to4 NAT device, it likely still sides beside a TMG for security, or in front of / behind a TMG depending on the deployment model

UAG has a CAL requirement, TMG does not (outside of the continuous web protection service, that can be bought as a cal or part of the Forefront Protection suite)
    both UAG and the web protection service cals are included in the MS ECAL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0