MS tells Google how to run its business

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

In an article in Forbes magazine Microsoft COO Kevin Turner is quoted as telling Google to stay out of the corporate search business.

I find this a lot more than just a tad arrogant on MS's part. Just who do they think they are telling other companies that they are not to compete with MS for business? The last I knew this country was both still free and still runs on the free enterprise business system.

And people wonder why I think MS sucks..... MS is like the schoolyard bully who thinks he has the right to tell people what they can do and when. What is MS going to do? Send it's corporate officers over to Google and beat Google's corporate officers up? Hire a bunch of thugs to beat up Googles corporate officers? Instead of breathing threats against their competitors why don't they just shut up and make a better mouse trap? That is the way to keep and/or grow a business isn't it?

To me this whole thing says MS doesn't believe its own products can compete in a fair marketplace: they don't really believe they sell a better mouse trap. If they did they wouldn't fear competition so much.

They say if you look long enough you can always find something you agree on with someone else. I finally found something upon which I agree with MS: Neither of us believes they make a better mouse trap.

You can read the rest of article on Forbes.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Then I hope Google tells M$ where to go. :twisted:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good read, freddie. I can hear knees knocking in the MS base :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just ran across some more info on this.

One of the ZDNet.com blogs gives further context to the COO of MS's comments toward Google. The quote below comes from the blog I just linked.

Notice that MS is whining that Google is competing with them at the same time they are announcing initiatives of their own for competing with other companies, i.e. IBM and Oracle. I guess I have to wonder: Does MS consider themselves to be taking food off the plates of other people when they enter areas of the IT business to compete with existing vendors? If not, then it's an amazing double standard of arrogance on their part. And if they do, then just what does that say about MS's vision of themselves?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I think the double standard speaks for itself. I remember when the xbox came out thinking 'why are MS going into the gaming console market?'

The fact that they are going after IBM and Oracle in the same breath as denouncing Google for competing with them says a lot.

You'd think they wouldn't be worried about a bit of competition, in the past they've never seemed to get all hot and bothered about it, they must be quite scared..

Google's whole ethos is so completely different, it couldn't be further from the MS approach of school bully beating up the smaller kids and taking their lunch money.

No matter how much Money MS throw at trying to beat Google I have a feeling Google will win..

Wasn't there something a while back about the new MSN search that was going to dominate search engines and push Google out - what ever happened to that?

Looks like Google are taking the game to them now Go Google!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging