MS Server 2003

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Guys,

I am planning on creating another local account on my laptop and using it as a Server for testing purposes...

i wanna create a AD and use Advance Server 2003 as a DC. (i am using the correct terminology?)

The plan is;

Server to be on my laptop

Intel M Pro 1.6Ghz
    1gb RAM

create xp pro (VPC) on my machine
    P4 2.8 Ghz
    512 RAM

create 2000 pro (VPC) on bro's machine
    AMD 64 2.x?Ghz
    512 RAM

All of them have plenty of HDD space?

i'm assuming this can all be done without affect my machines as its all virtual?

Is there anything that i need to be careful of?

Cheers...

2. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

why don't you use just your laptop? I am taking it it's on vmware ?

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Cheek, you don't mention where you are going to install server?:blink

4. Mr.Cheeks

everything is going to be on a virtual machine....

5. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

so that's your laptop....
    and that's another machine...
    and that's your brother's machine...

but you are saying it's all virtual ? :dry

Right .. I am lost :eek:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Your Laptop has 1Gb of physical RAM in it.

As the Host OS (XP) will need approx 256 at least for it to run, and you are going to run a Virtual XP installation with 512 MB that will leave you with only 256MB for you to use on your Server. Is that correct?

I'm not sure what the requirements are for 2003 Enterprise Edition (2000 was Advanced, 2003 is enterprise), but I think that on 256 MB the server may run terribly slow.

Why not allocate the server 512, and the (virtual) XP client only 128 (256 for install, then reduce it), leaving your Host XP with plenty of RAM free to use itself.

Since this is only for a LAB installation then you will not need loads of RAM on the clients as they won't be doing much.

8)

7. Mr.Cheeks

The spec given in my 1st post are of physical machines...

so my laptop has1gb or physical ram in it.

i'll rephrase everything and hope think makes sense...

1-Physical Laptop
    Intel M Pro 1.6Ghz
    1gb RAM

Will be installing the server on this machine
    -------------

2-my physical machine
    P4 2.8 Ghz
    512 RAM

Will be installing the XP on this machine
    -------------

3- bro's physical machine
    AMD 64 2.x?Ghz
    512 RAM

Will be installing the 2k pro on this machine

:rolleyes: HTH

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so, let me try and see if I got this right:

You have three Physical machines, all of which have an OS installed on them and you have three copies of VM Ware (or other), one of which is installed on each physical PC.

On your laptop you are going to have XP (Host) and Server 2003 (Virtual).

On Your PC you are going to have XP (Host) and XP (Virtual).

On your Bro's PC you are going to have XP (Host) and 2K (Virtual).

You are then going to try to get these three virtual PC's to network together and talk to each other?

This might seem daft, but isn't the whole benefit in Virtual Machines that they use less physical boxes? :blink

I can see what you are trying do do Cheek, but think that you may struggle with the networking in getting these VM's to talk to each other.

9. Mr.Cheeks

Your correct with the host and virtual part...

The reason im using it on three separate machine, is because if i run to virtual machine within my computer, its slows down a lot, and thats the only reason...

Why would the networking part be hard for? i've done two virtual pcs within my pc and got it networked, so how would this differ?

10. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

I am running 8 virtual machines on 1 gig of ram, does get a bit slow sometimes but it works .... so why don't you use your lappy only ?

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Si but I have to disagree with you there. If he hasn't got 1 pc with good enough specs that he can run several virtual machines on it, then he has to spread it around a bit.

As for the networking side of it he shouldn't have any problems at all. :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Because on the same Physical PC they are not having to browse outside of the Box that they are on.

On seperate boxes virtual machines sometimes struggle to see other virtual PC's because they have to pass through the host(s) first, let me try and explain.

Seperate Physical Boxes - Networking goes VM - Host - Physical Network - Host - VM.

Same box it simply goes - VM - Host - VM.

Less complex.

It does work as I've done it before, but it is sometimes a harder to get them to see each other if things like firewalls get in the way.

Have you not thought about Trashing your PC and installing the Server as a Physical Box, and then running the VM's on the Physical server, thus leaving your laptop untouched? You might want more memory for the PC though.

8)

13. Mr.Cheeks

8!!!! The most i done was 3 - and that was like taking the pi$$ (with 512 RAM)... I know it would work, but i want it to run at a decent speed...

14. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

The performance loss is hardly noticeable to be honest with you, I have even added a fresh ubuntu install to play with. The lappy will be just fine trust me :D

15. Mr.Cheeks

might just give all three a bash on my laptop...

i have a another box (which i install diff os's on, but its too of a low spec to have a server and virtual pcs to run, it only has 256 RAM... and i use it as my download machine...

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That would work best.

My suggestion would be to install the Virtual Machines using as much memory as you can, and then reduce their allocation once they are installed. So for all Three I'd suggest allocating them 512 MB, install them (one at a time obviously), and then reduce their allocation as follows:

Server - 256
    XP - 128
    2K - 64

That way they will still be able to run for you to test things out on them, but it leaves your physical PC with enough memory to still be able to run fairly smooth. 8)

17. Mr.Cheeks

thanks mate, that was gonna be my next question... :biggrin

is there any additional software i need to install before trying to create a AD, DC...

what is required to create a domain? other than a DC?

18. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Once you install Server 2003 you will need to promote it to a domain controller (pretty straight forward, as there's a wizard). You shouldn't need any other software. 8)

19. Mr.Cheeks

Sweeeeeet!

20. Mr.Cheeks

installations are so as fu*k! :x damn this 1.7ghz! and stupid cd rom drive...