MS Press books & objective card

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by derkit, Feb 6, 2010.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've just hit a bit of a brick wall on the 270 course and went flicking through the MS Press book for it and came across the objective card at the front it. Whilst I have already downloaded and printed out the objectives from the MS website there is an addition from the one in the book - the chapter and lesson references.

Now, I'm getting involved in the content from Chapter 4, Lesson 1 (about the XP boot process) - learning a fair bit I might add also - but there is no reference to it on this objective card, so a couple of questions puzzle me.

- does the lack of the appearance on the objective card means that this material is not examinable?
    - is this the same with other MS Press books? Especially the more "senior" ones? I only have the MCDST to compare to and this doesn't seem to the case!

:dry :rolleyes:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I didn't bother using the objectives card in this one, i found that several of the chapters/sections where missing from it. Also the numbering on it is wrong, however, that is easy to get around.

The way i found these ms exams to be...
    • If its in the book it could be in the exam
    • If its not in the book, it could be in the exam
    (why you should use more that one guide)

Also objectives can change a little overtime, it does actuality state subject to change.
    Although i have really noticed any yet.

290 ms press book objective card is totally different, breaks it down into pages ranges

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

I had the same kind of thing with the 271/272 so I bought more material.
    im doing the 270 at the moment too and have bought three books just incase the objectives are not covered enough in the MS Press then the other two should cover it :D (I hope) 8)

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. supernova

The rule of thumb is...

certification isnt really to learn from, its a method of showing what you already know.
    So most of the material should already be very familiar, if it isn't then it proves that you not ready and you lack experience. Stop and gain the experience first! or choose another certification for something that your more experienced in (or another entry level cert).

5. supernova

I actually thought the books did a good job for that one, I only used the Ms press books. But yes i automatically buy a couple these days.

The 270 tends overlap a little with the 2003 basics from the 290

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

cheers for the info super - I've also got the sybex and exam cram to peruse at some point in the future - I was just hitting the apathy brick wall earlier, hence my mind wandering! Always good to get more than 1 source for anything!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Yeah mate I think because it was basically my first exams It was because I didnt buy the press book at first but after buying a range of books it helped a lot :)

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade