MS extend shelf life of XP

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 1, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have a read http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7017624.stm

Looks like MS are having to bow to pressure due to slow demand for vista.

I wonder why :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am sure XP is going to be the dominant OS for the next little while.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

wow...what a result!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

5 months?

Woo...
    ...Yay

:rolleyes:

That'll sort out my budget for next year.

THANKS Microsoft!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I read the article last week...even tho MS have bowed to pressure...Vista has sold alot more copies than MS anticipated...and they are only extending the shelf life of XP cos they know now what they didnt know then (or at least thats what we're led to believe): that users will not be using Vista the second it comes out. But hey its nice they have extended it. Even tho I find Vista Ultimate x64 to be way better than the x86 version :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Vista has only sold a bunch of copies because it comes pre-installed on most home computers. Eventually Vista will catch on... but businesses are still going to be extremely slow to adopt it. You don't have a successful OS for 5 years, then create a new OS that doesn't interoperate well with old drivers and apps and expect people to switch, en masse.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I fully agree my friend. It would have made sense to get Vista to be working with old drivers and apps alike. But yes businesses will not be in a hurry to switch to Vista...might take another 2-3yrs i think.

8. BosonMichael

That'd be quite a task for Microsoft... thousands of drivers from hundreds (or thousands) of companies... and a countless number of applications.

All this said... Microsoft can't fix those drivers or apps for the vendors... if Microsoft were to make Vista so everything worked on it, they'd have to reopen holes that they're trying to close, and break improvements that they've specifically worked to create.

As Vista slowly becomes more widespread, vendors will ensure compatibility with their products. If they don't, then their products simply won't work on Vista, and they'll have to take that financial hit (if any).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah, it is the vendors themselves that need to keep up...I remember when I was working for Apple, when they released their new OS, alot of people started ringing in saying that certain apps were not working as they use to...so we told them the reason was that the makers of the apps had yet to catch up with Apple's new operating system...and now watch what will happen when Apple release their latest OS X (10.5 Leopard)...lets hope they have learnt from their mistakes...and when MS release Vienna (they say 2yrs but we'll see), lets hope they learn from this too. The vendors I mean not Apple and MS.

10. BosonMichael

Yep, same exact deal.

I was going to say that Mac seems to make more drastic changes than Microsoft with their minor releases (10.3, 10.4, 10.5)... but in retrospect, there WERE a bunch of vendors who had apps affected by the release of SP2 for XP...

11. vinnieg24

vinnieg24 Bit Poster

there is a lot of resistance toward vista. im not a huge fan myself, at first it was like i had to learn the computer again (probably because im used to xp)..but i know a lot of people that are having the same problem. most ppl just bought it because they figured they better do it now before vista become the norm and then they are out of the loop....ms's devilish plan is working haha jk:twisted: