MS exam scores

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Raffaz, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can anyone tell me how many points are needed for 70-271 exam, and how many questions there are etc? Ive just done a transcender for the first time and got 75% overall. All categories were over 80% apart from troubleshooting network protocols and services which was 40%:ohmy , so im gonna have to study that in more detail. Is 75% enough? Also if anyone could point me in the direction of some networking guides that have helped them, just for a different point of view to the MS press book, then that would be appreciated. Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Raffaz as with every MS exam the passing score is 700 and you should get about 40-60 questions... i think you nearly there.. as for a another guide try Cramsession they got free guides...

as with relation to Network Protocols and Services

which area do you feel you struggling in?
    also i hope you using the 2nd edition of MS Press's MCDST book because the exam is very SP2 based

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As Zim said, the passing score is 700... but that doesn't necessarily mean 70%, nor does that mean that each question is worth the same number of points (for example, simulations might or might not be worth the same as a normal multiple choice question, and partial credit might or might not be given).

So... basically, there's no way to know what percent you need to get right. I'd say that if you hit 75% on the Transcender, you're getting there. Improve on your networking stuff and patch up any other weak areas, and take another new Transcender exam (one you haven't seen before). Hopefully you can improve that score!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Raffaz

Yeah the book is the 2nd edition, it was provided by my training provider.
    Im not exactly sure about the areas im struggling with as the transcender just gave me that broad area, it doesnt break it down any further.
    A few things that come to mind are :
    * Differences between firewall in SP1 and SP2. I had a question about port 445 being blocked, but couldnt find any references in the book about that.
    * Things like PPTP, VPN, WSP, not exactly sure what they are and what they are used for etc, so when questions came up about them, i just had to try and rule other things out.
    * Im also not very confident about connecting older OSes to a new OS. Like connecting a 98 system to a 2003 server etc.

Also not 100% confident on calculating NTFS permissions, especially when they are combined with folder shares

Oh and i also got a few daft ones wrong, that i knew. One that comes to mind was a certain computer was assigned an APIPA and i didnt answer a DHCP problem, but i think everyone does that kind of thing lol.

Thats all i can think of. Cheers

5. Raffaz

Ah right so there is no set rules for the questions and points? Is there a set time limit, or does that vary aswell? Im gonna go thru the networking stuff again over the weekend, and then im at a workshop for this on tue/wed so hopefully that will help. This is the first transcender i have attempted so hopefully it will get better :)

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all here some of the words....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPTP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

second NTFS:
    when ntfs permissions are combined with the shared its the total permissions that counts for example:

Share: Read and Write
    NTFS: Read and Write (Deny)

The total permissions is: Read and Denied Write. Because a Deny overwrites a Allow. Basically you take all the permissions which are allow and subtract the Deny if they occur.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There may be set rules for questions and points, but Microsoft certainly isn't revealing that information.

There's a set number of questions and a set time limit, but either of those can be changed by Microsoft at any time. Only reason Zim said 40-60 questions is because Microsoft can change that number by adding (or removing) additional questions, potentially unscored ones that they want to test out before "making them count".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

9. Raffaz

Cheers, il have a look at that :)

10. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

not sure if its too late - just trying to help with my limited exam experience...

I had 61 questions, and time was 2:05 mins.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290