MS Courses

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Beerbaron, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I am looking for some help with MS courses. I am looking to start uni in Sept to Study MSc Forensic computing. In the mean time i want to look in to doing a course for a year..but what course?

A little about me:

I currently work as an IT support technician dealing with 1st, 2nd and not so much 3rd line. I have previously worked on an ISP and software help desks.

Qualifications:
    Bsc business computing
    NVQ Level 4 Advanced IT
    Network +

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

If you looking to get into Forensics then i think you need to forget about an MS cert - starting playing with Encase and FTK to atleast have some working knowledge of it - if you really want a cert maybe look at a security orientated one. And what uni have you applied to do the M.Sc in? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Beerbaron

I havent applied but i have the forms, just need to fill them in. I was looking at Westminster and Luton. Are there any courses available for these software? I see from your sig your are probably the man in the know :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Courses yes but you cant do the courses without getting work experience - thats the catch with forensics and right now no uni the UK offers such training in there post grad degree programs. That doesnt mean you cant start learning the product with the help of books from Amazon.

Im guessing you want to stay within London for the degree right? So there is Westminster, East London and Bedfordshire (Luton) - there are more if you want i got a *complete* list if you want it.

5. Beerbaron

Yeah i want to stay around London. I know there are more unis around that are highly rated but are a lot further a field. I think I will need to apply and get a response from the unis before purchasing specific software books. What are the security+ certs like?

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Security+ is a good start if you have no knowledge of security. BTW the software i mentioned wont be taught to you by ANY uni in the uk - its up to you to learn and they are a must if you even think of breaking into Forensics! 8)

7. Beerbaron

I have little knowledge in this area so will have to check out the other sections of this forum. Is there any reason why there are no courses in the UK that covers these software?

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

cause like all uni courses nothing they teach you is useful in the real world!

9. Beerbaron

LOL very true

Thanks for your advice and info

10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I left Uni knowing C/C++, assembler and SQL plus some basic math, business and engineering principles, used all of them in the real world. Maybe 10-20% of the stuff was of limited use, thats not too bad.

Why do you have an MSc as your 2009 goal if you think it will be a waste of time ? Why not just go get a job in security ?

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i been in uni studying since 2003 (did a whole HND then first year of a degree) and i worked in the industry for year and ALOT of the stuff covered in uni's doesnt help you at all - for example we have hardly done any Cisco work in my coursework - its mostly theory and theory - it goes back to the question is it worth doing degrees? Yes i have plans to do a M.Sc but everyday i do more research into it it doesnt seem worth it with the way this industry is going you need to get onto the ladder ASAP and not get overqualified! If i do my M.Sc i know i wont learn everything about Forensics thats why like i have mentioned above you need to teach yourself some stuff as well such as Encase (NO M.Sc course in the WHOLE of the UK) gives you enough exposure to this important tool that ALL employers are looking for - so what do they cover in the M.Sc's well theory and some practice. And if you got a job for me in security after i graduate contact me mate and ill give £5000! :biggrin its tough and daunting for graduates in IT!

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I know some courses contain some fluff, but my point is if you choose well you can keep it to a minimum. There are many Universities that are also Cisco academies and will offer CCNA in line with a degree.

Well I'd definitely advise avoiding the MSc then, I've seen pen test and forensics jobs, and they generally don't pay that well, certainly not enough to justify the £5-£10k an MSc costs. If you are lucky you might land one with a little experience and a degree alone.

I was once a graduate too, it was tough then also, as was it during Y2K, as was it during the dot.com bubble, in fact its mostly just plain tough, which is probably why Comp Sci majors are in decline.

If thats full time I agree you've already spent far too long in the system, anything over 3 years fulltime is not necessary unless you are planning of going into research. Get into the market ASAP.

I don't work in security, I do see the odd job advertised, PM me when you graduate and I'll send you any job specs I get that might fit the bill.

Goodluck ! :D