MPEG

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 8, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I was asked the other day what the difference between mpeg1 and mpeg4 format were.

I assumed that it had something to do with the compression used. Am I on the right lines?

This is something that I have never thought about, or even had the need to think about, I didnt even know that there were different formats to be honest!

:rolleyes:

2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

im pretty sure you're right about the compression factor si.

it was a while back but i read something about the difference. :rolleyes:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In the MPEG world there are 3 main formats. 1, 2 and 4

1 was used on 'Video CDs' (VCD) and part of the spec (layer 3 audio) was used to produce MP3. MPEG2 is used on Super Video CDs and on DVDs. This was a much improved system over 1, so allowed better quality for a given compression ratio.

MPEG4 is intended to give reasonable results on highly compressed video, which is why it is used so much in on-line streaming stuff.

The actual compression system is *very* complex, and uses a lot of special maths to achieve its ends.

You can get a lot of info on MPEG from www.videohelp.com.

There are other compression systems in use, mostly as codecs in AVI and similar files.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Guys! :biggrin