MP4 device for daily travel to work

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Asterix, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I now have an hours commute to work (foot+Rail) and as this is going to take a considerable amount of my time i am thinking about buying a MP4 device so i can listen to audio training (or training vids). Apple seem to produce some really nice kit, although prices are extremely high and file formats will have to be converted, so i am now looking at other devices which are a little cheaper and will offer flexibility in file formats.......... and then i found the following device with a price of under £35 and with a 3" TFT:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168545
    This device is compatible with the following formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC, APE, OGG, MPEG4/AVI, RM/RMVB/FLV/WMV/3GP/MPG/DAT/MP4 so sounds ideal, and although i plan to put training vids onto this device and just listen, i was wondering what size screen would be required to watch also, as there is also a 4.3" model (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168547) and although this is twice the price this is still pretty cheap, would this be large enough for me to be able to watch vids?
    If anyone can advise from their experience (especially on screen sizes) then it would be much appreciated!

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I own an iphone but don't use it for video content, for that I use an Archos 605 which you can pick up fairly cheaply these days.

I have owned a number of Archos devices through the years, not because they broke down but simply because the disk space increased (started with a 40gb, then a 60 and now a 160).

Well worth it in my opinion.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's not advice about a device, but something I thought was interesting. I was recently studying using a Trainsignal DVD, and the bonus DVD had all of the training in various mobile formats. Mp4 etc.. it even had MP3's of just the audio from the vids. Quite handy if you had a long commute like you do. It would send me to sleep doing training on the way to and from work though. And that's bad if you are driving. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Simon, how do you find the 4.3" screen? was this sufficiant for the purpose? I haved just looked in the Archos device and feel that the original product i suggested would forfill for my purpose (and considerbly cheaper and with great user ratings 5*). Thanks for the suggestion....... next i will need to buy/locate some 70-298+299 audio to accompany the MS books you passed to me :twisted:

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Its bloody awesome mate, just the right size, added to the fact that the device can also read PDF's as well it fits in really well.

Size wise it fits in a pocket, battery wise it lasts me for a 4 hour daily commute (I also have a spare battery just in case) and with the capacity it means I can pretty much have what I want on there. It will also act as a PVR device as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Get an IPOD Touch and be done with it.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

But then there is the additional cost (of the device) and the hassle of converting videos into a compatable format.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Itunes should be able to do that for you.

9. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Possibly s......... although i wouldnt have Itunes on my machine! :P

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And of knowing that you're inching closer to being an 'Appleprat' :D

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Most sensible thing I have read in ages! I HATE iTunes. I have to use it though as my work phone is an iPhone.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada