Moving Exchange data to another server

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Stoney, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I need to move all the data from my exchange server (Exch01) to another exchange server (Exch02) and then take Exch01 offline and rebuild it. I don't want to create an Exchange cluster for this task.

All the info I've read explains how to restore data to another exchange instance but it has the same name and IP settings as the original server. I can't really configure the new server to be the same as the old one because there will be a time when they both need to be online at the same time.

Is it possible to move the Exchange data to another server? I've read you can use Exmerge to move mulitple mailboxes, but will this do the job?

Cheers,

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm not in anyway qualified to get involved in answering this but...... we've recently used exmerge to move mailboxes for a decommissioned NT server box from one site to place it on another NT server box where I am - seem to go flawlessly (well, no-one has complained in the last 3 weeks!)

All we had to do was to make sure that exchange was pointing to the correct server to find the mailbox.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293