Mouse driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisH, Sep 2, 2006.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

I recently built a new computer and I have been having continuous problems with the mouse. I have reinstalled Windows and changed the mouse (The old mouse was USB and the new one is PS2.) but the problem remaiins.

Occasionally, sometimes very frequently the mouse just stops. Buttons still work but no movement and the optical light doesn't return the full brightness. A few seconds later the light comes on and it works ok. Theres no pattern it seems random and is not related to any specific application.

The old mouse was USB and the new one is PS2.

Spec is as follows:
    AMD3200+ (939)
    ECS NForce 4 Motherboard
    1GB Ram
    Radeon X300 Gfx

I've tried searching but the terms 'mouse' and 'freezing' yeild thousands of results where ever I go.

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it a mouse with loads of extra buttons\toys? If so I would install updated drivers. Also is there any drivers to be installed for your mobo, that might help the problem with the USB mouse.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

No the original mouse was a £3.99 Microsoft optical with standard button layout. I'm now using a Samsung mouse which has a standard layout as well. I've checked the Motherboard website which has a BIOS update available but does not list mouse problems as being something the update resolves. I have tried to flash the bios previously but failed and was lucky to restore the system so I'd rather not try it again unless I have no choice.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Long shot, but does anything come in the event logs when you have the problems with the mouse?

Also does the problem still happen in safe mode? It may be worth another rebuild but only install the basic components you need, perhaps there is a conflict with another hardware device? Unlikely but worth a shot if you are running out of ideas 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ChrisH,

Are you using a USB port on the motherboard? Are the USB versions compatible between the port and mouse? i.e. USB v1.0 vs. v2.0 ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

might sound light a stupid question, but is there light reflecting on it?

with me, when the sun is out, the the light is on my comp (im near a window) my mouse goes all funny, but if i close the curtains, then its gets better... plus is the battery ok in it aswell?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Any conflicts or oddities showing up in device manager?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

could be IRQ problems, but with XP its a small chance that could be the case, but give it a check just in case.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I think Cheekmaster is thinking on the same lines, but I was going to ask if they're both optical mice. Maybe you could try a ball mouse to eliminate the surface you're using.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Given the title of this thread I'm surprised no one's mentioned 'Doctor' and 'Steering Wheel' yet.
    Not very helpful, but there you go. :D

With the behaviour you've described I'm very inclined to agree with Cheek & Baba - sounds very much like what an optical mouse does when it's not detecting movement (light dimming briefly).
    Would try a different surface or find a ball mouse from somewhere & see if that works.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I am having the same problem here but put it down to the KVM switch that I am using, however after reading this thread I plugged the mouse directly into the PS2 port on the computer and I still experience the above problem. I can live with it but the wife bangs the mouse on the mouse mat everytime it happens, I tried telling her that the mouse is not the problem but she always replies with the same response - "well it starts working again after I bang it", it's just a coincidence as the freeze only lasts a few seconds so would start working again anyway. I have tried different surfaces and none of them resolve the problem, it's not excessive light either cause it happens both with the lights on or off and there is no window nearby.

Hoping for a solution soon before the mouse packs up from the abuse the wife is giving it.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  12. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Thanks for the help. I still haven't completely solved the problem but its less frequent than before. I don't know what I've done though as I've changed so much software recently it could be anything. Still on optical and still on same mat with same light tho so I'm beginning to think it may be NF4 related.

Nelix: I jumped on my original mouse and it fell apart and still didn't work. It is funny how it always starts working when you bang it on the table tho.

13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Did you try a ball mouse?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ChrisH,

You mentioned "...still on optical and still on same mat with same light..." Is the mat a special one designed for or came with the mouse? Is it possible you need to use something like window cleaner to clean the surface of the special mouse mat?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA