Motivation

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dwhyte85, Jan 25, 2011.

1. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

So... I'm due to start a new job in 11 working days.

In my current role, due to personal circumstances with family loss and just the way the job was, my outside learning suffered.

I'm trying to gee myself up to get onto doing 1 qualification this year before the summer, ideally something on Linux or routers but... everytime I sit down to give it an hour of thinking, I just turn off!

I'm feeling I'm getting complacent, I've had good career progression to now and I don't want to peak at 25! How do you lads and ladies motivate yourselves?

I've just moved from network manager to a sys admin role for a large, growing company... the only way is up and I want to make sure that I keep going up with them!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I know how you feel!

I've been with my current company 10 months, and I've progressed a hell of a long way in those few short months, and am heading abroad for them to work next week for 3 months.

With this I've thought i'll have alot of time on my own so I've taken my MCTS books with me, hopefully i'll be able to knuckle down and avoid the german beer.

But in terms of motivation, i've always wanted to be an individual with a wealth of knowledge to share with others, have a job i enjoy and love doing, and also earn enough money to get by, plus a little extra, just thinking of that makes me study more.

I'm 24 - and have a long way to go in terms of my ideal role, but i'm slowly getting there, and if i keep going it'll arrive eventually.

Mate of mine at uni, had a picture of his friend working at mcdonalds pinned to his wall above his desk, if he ever doubted or stopped studying, he said looking at that made him work harder - sounds awful but i did laugh! :D

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just do it when you can. It's not good to burn out, and perhaps you've done that. Everyone needs to recharge every now and then.

You're already in a good position at age 25. Not saying that you should be complacent... but you've got a lot of time ahead of you. Take a "study break"... you'll have plenty of things to get used to and learn about in your new job. Let all that sink in... gain a bit of experience there... then, when things calm down, get back on the horse and knock out a few more certifications. You'll find that it's a lot easier to do when you aren't under pressure from all sides and distracted by a bunch of personal problems and new, unfamiliar situations. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

LOL ethernet0

I'm glad someone is in a similar position, I think once the novelty of the new job wears off I'll be able to get in that state of mind again, this is a different kettle of fish to what I've been doing currently with line management, more technical (perfect for me).

I think for the probation I'll just relax, I want to nail the CCNA but I'm not really about... sticking to one brand of hardware, although it is applicable elsewhere... I suppose.

With that song in the back of my head I'll pick my next challenge after relaxing a bit and ensuring I pass probation and go for some techy quals.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  6. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Well, BM used to give us a swift kick and off we were, fully MOTIVATED :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Don't worry about that. I have only ever studied the CCNA material, and i am at a company now where the LAN is all Nortel/Avaya (still Cisco offshore) and managed just fine.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, but I charge a dollar. Some people will do it for free! :p :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. bob_s

bob_s New Member

I use job adverts to keep me motivated, if I know what the market needs and also what I need to get to the next level then that motivates me.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITILv3-F, Prince2-F,
    WIP: CISMP, MSc, MCP, MCSE
  10. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Good thing to do. Good advice too.

If the market is suddenly looking for ITIL, then do ITIL. I was surprised myself to see how much the market and job adverts placed on ITILv3 Foundations. Ticked that box now, it's done :)

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Like you mate I haven’t done as many certs over the last 12 months as I would have liked. However some of the projects I have been working on increased my technical experience so it’s all good.

Sounds like you are in the same position as work is keeping you busy but the certs have to take a back seat for a while.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs