Morning

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mynameismax, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mynameismax

mynameismax New Member

Hello all,
    first of all a big thank you to Arriva Trains Wales for striking this morning, otherwise I would be in work right now, and I really don't want to be in work!

I've been in an underpaid IT role for over a year now, mainly dealing with content management systems, website marketing etc. The truth is it's time for a career move, my next step up the IT ladder (well cliche I know). I would really like to get into networking and have been researching possible ways to get a CCNA for months now, but there's always something that holds me back. I'm uncertain as to my experience in IT! Sounds stupid but although i've touched a bit on maintaining my company's single switch and router, my network experience isn't great. I've bought myself a CCNA book from Cisco Press yet self study without the equipment to practice on is quite a feat.

Getting to the point I wanted some advice on getting into the industry. Where I am stuck is: do I get experience first (experience in dealing with networks I mean, I have quite a bit of IT experience) and then go for my CCNA, or shall I just go for it now (via an intense course) and then get my networking experience after? I've been battling with this question for ages, and wondered if you experts could finally give the kick up the arse I need.

Cheers guys, and I hope to be posting many more questions (and replies of course) on CF.

Max

2. natkay2603

natkay2603 Bit Poster

Hi and welcome.

Do you have any IT Certs?

3. mynameismax

mynameismax New Member

Nope. I was hoping a CCNA would be my first one. Or would you recommend a compTIA one first?

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi Max,
    Firstly welcome to the forums. :) Secondly - there is a lot of information on the forums in the various sections pretty much identical to your current situation.

I'm not trying to be arsey, just saves me retyping essays :p

One such link for you can be found here - http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread27585.html.

In short you won't be taken seriously by potential employers if you don't have the relevant real world experience to do the job you wish to do, regardless of qualifications.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help. :)

EDIT - Oh... and go for the N+ first (if you didn't catch the drift from the aforementioned thread link)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The choice is up to you, but I always recommend getting entry-level certifications, then experience, then higher-level certifications. The CCNA is one of those higher-level certifications, so I'd recommend getting a tiny bit of real-world Cisco router experience before doing the CCNA. Instead, I'd recommend certifications such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. mynameismax

mynameismax New Member

Brilliant, thanks.
    The truth is i'm a bit desperate to get things moving. I'm really unhappy in my job and feel like if I don't get out of there soon i'll sink into some kind of depression. I'll be posting my CV up on here soon so you guys can have a look, if you don't mind.

Cheers

Max

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then get out as soon as possible - start applying NOW. Don't wait until you get a few certifications. When you get the A+, add it to your CV and keep looking.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!