Morning all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by thelongmile, Sep 8, 2008.

1. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

Just thought I'd register on here and say hi.

Recently took and passed my MCDST after a couple of months of studying, so I've signed up here to get some hints tips and pointers on where to go next, and, well whatever else there is!

Hey!

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Where to go next depends on where you currently are now in your IT career. :) Tell us a little about yourself!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

well, to be honest, I've put alot of into the following thread in the MCDST section
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread27739.html

But, the long and short of it, is that I've taken the MCDST to show I can actually use a computer and do more than use powerpoint etc. It's my first IT qualification, and I have no prior experience in IT.
    I've gotten this to help me break into the IT industry, I'm not expecting it to do the work for me, but I am hoping it will help.

I've got a lot of experience in customer service (im 22, and i've been in customer facing roles since 16, even if one of them was McDonalds... it's still customer service :biggrin ..... just... burger orientated ... :cry:)
    Anyway, that and my love of computing in general led me to decide that an MCDST would help combine these and help push me into the IT field, and start progressing from there. I like being able to help customers and clients though, I don't particularly like the idea of being shoved in a back room for the rest of my life (I know I might to start with though)

I'm not a drop out or anything like that, In fact I went to Sheffield Hallam University, to study a BSc In computer network engineering. I actually left because after discussing it with the lecturers, it seemed that all I would really be learning is how to code in Java. The course was in fact how to develop Java programs to test network integrity etc. I made the decision that I didn't want to write code all my life (I spent a long time making doubly sure that this was really what the course was about, and every lecturer confirmed that, all I would really be doing, was learn to write java).

After that I was rather upset and confused and tried to put myself off computers completley. I even applied and got accepted onto a Psychology degree in Cardiff UWIC. But 6 months in I realised that I really did want to be in IT. I just got, severley put off by the way I was mislead by Hallam. Anyway I finished the course and decided that, I should really start working. Going back to university for a third time wasn't going to look good on any CV (not that leaving two uni courses didnt look bad enough! :oops: ), I also thought that, without the pressure of education and the inability to earn, I would be better equipped to actually decide weather or not I wanted to go back into IT. I had to make sure.

Of course after that time, I had bills to pay and going back to Uni was simply not feasable financially. So I decided to do the MCDST to start. With the hope of doing a lot more afterward.

So, like I said, not a drop out, I've got the educational caliber to have been accepted on TWO degree level courses at two different, reasonably decent universities.

So yeh well, that's basically about me. Right now I work in a call center for a major UK bank.. as a customer support officer. I've expressed interest in the companies IT department, however just about everything has been outsourced, and well. There havn't been any vacanies in a long time, and I've essentially been told by the IT department, that it would be better to look for a job elsewhere as even they have almost nothing to do anymore thanks to the outsourcing.

It's a shame, because we have spent many hours discussing the various IT systems in place throught the bank and the call center. They know what I am capable of, and they know I can do more than just the MCDST. But, before I do any more than the MCDST, I want some experience to build upon. I might get a taste of something in networking and want to go in that direction. I might get a taste for admin, and go in that direction. Best advice I could find was to get something to start with, get in, and get some experience.

Unforutnatley there seem to be almost no jobs in Cardiff, Newport, Swansea or even Bristol at the moment for a MCDST. Even the most BASIC junior support roles at 8000k Pa, have been advertised as asking for a minimum of 2 years experience. Having spoken to some people who work in IT, I've been told that most of the time, it's either Recruitment companies that simply don't know what they are doing when putting up a job advert, or they are just trying to put off the hobbyists out there, that think they know alot but struggle to reconfigure their sound card, let alone TCP/IP configuration etc.

So thats, me basically.... um... I've just read how long this post is! :eek: Um... sorry....

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hey & Welcome to CF

Hope you don't mind me numbering your post, makes it easier to reply to.

1) Props to you on getting the MCDST, this will help you a lot in getting into the I.T field and give you solid grounding for a 1st line support role

2) This is exactly what will give you the edge on the already competitive I.T market. When you do get to an interview, lean heavily on your customer service experience (regardless to the burger orientated) and also pull the qualities of your ambition to succeed, determination etc etc from acquirng MCDST cert. The fact that you like to help customers/clients shows that you will do just finally in your first I.T role, as customer focus is gold. Being 'shoved to a back room' ? hrm, I think you've been watching too much T.V lol

3) I appreciate you leaving the course, I'm just baffled as to why you accepted the computer network engineering course at uni for (I assume) 3/4 years without knowing it's content beforehand :ohmy
    But anyway, I wouldn't put this in the education part on your C.V as it looks face-value that you are not 'committed' and could probably ditch the job if you got bored. (not a dig at you, just from the employers perspective, which I've just seen you pointed out in (4) )

4) So aside the confusion in your course switching, at least you have got your MCDST which shows that you mean business when you say you want to get into I.T

5) I can assume that you have piled up a pretty hefty debt in uni loans etc which can't be easy, but I think you made the right decision to study for the MCDST, in regards to doing a lot more, I would suggest you take the A+ / N+ but nothing more until you get some good hands on experience, as taking more complex certs will most likely hinder your career.

6) Your call centre/ overall customer service experience will look very attractive on a CV, and it is a shame that the I.T is being outsource in the Bank you work in, but yeah I'd take the I.T departments advice and look elsewhere.

7)Take the many hourse discussion as nothing lost but knowledge gained. You've basically got the right attitude to get into the I.T field and I agree aside from taking the A+ / N+ you really do need to get some experience before tackling anything further.

8) You need to be applying for any 1st line support roles,helpdesk,entry level roles. Yes a lot of the time you will find that most I.T companies do want experience, but in a lot of the jobs, this is a preference as opposed to neccessity, so whip your CV, get it out there and play on your customer focus, and your willingness to learn! Don't even hesitate, just go for it, and see how the interviews go. You won't get into an I.T job if you think there seems to be almost no jobs in your area, go find em!, they might not be on your doorstep but surely traveling a few miles outwards would be worth it for some golden experience, eh eh? :D
    Reason I stress this, is because I myself have 7years customer service experience and I'm halfway through the 271 MS press book, and I start my 1st I.T job on the 22nd of this month, cease the moment mate.

9) I think you have a great attitude and don't worry about the length of your post, hope my reply helps you in even the smallest of ways :thumbleft

~Naive

WIP: MCDST
  7. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

Thank you! That's more than I expected, and I really am greatful for it.

With regards to the Uni course, looking back, I'm baffled as well, I took it at face value on the limited information that was provided, rather than really deeply looking into it.

Congratulations on your first IT job however! Really glad to hear someones managed to get in.

I'll take the advice on the CV. At first I thought it was good to show university caliber education, but I know that doesent matter more than an actual qualification.

As for jobs, It's hard pressed, but I'm applying hard and fast to what I can see thats appropriate. And those that arn't appropriate, I'm ringing before hand and discussing, seeing what I can find out. Even to the point of positng adverts on gumtree. Definatley looking at the A+ and N+ certs now as I'm finding more and more info out. I'm hoping to get out of my current role before I do them, as Im really... not happy in my current role.

8. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Anytime mate,
    In regards to the Uni course, we all make mistakes so don't worry about that. Thanks for the grats :) I really pushed hard in the 2nd interview, It was just one of those days, you know when everything that comes out of your mouth seems to be really fluent heh. Yeah unless you had the qualification, I see little point in putting it up, as for the education calibre, you have proven that by obtaining your MCDST cert, but yeah, overall, you've just got to keep hard pressed and eventually you WILL get the job :)

WIP: MCDST
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Qs

Hmmm looking over Naive's reply...it's looking quite similar to a famous Qs post.

Very Wordy.

Very Awesome.

Very Helpful.

Oh my god.... Dey took our jerbs!

If anyone gets the reference, I'm impressed. If not click here

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

ROFLMFAO

you er... been smoking? :eek: :lol:

12. Qs

Nope - though I may have had too much coffee. :p

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Reading through both of your threads, I'd also recommend the A+ and Network+... then get some real world experience before pursuing anything past that point. :)

Already some top advice in this thread... good stuff! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hi & Welcome aboard

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)