More on drm and how it will affect you

Discussion in 'Software' started by ffreeloader, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Here is a link from BoingBoing on how Microsoft is requiring driver signing in Vista.

While some people out there are defending MS on this, it's just one more step along the way to wresting control of your computer from you and giving it to large corporations.

I won't be buying Vista.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for the heads up Freddy!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I dont believe this! :ohmy what the heck is MS doing? No way im getting vista so i end up gettig the hardware they want!
    My boss is already stressing that over his dead body will Vista touch our pc and i couldnt agree more now... PLUS they released a 'patch' for it and its only in beta! :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

On the plus side it might stop hardware manufacturers producing flakey drivers that could make a PC unstable. Yes, I know you could argue that installing Windows already makes a PC unstable. :biggrin

There will probably be a “patch” to get around this before Vista is released, product activation anyone? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. Some of the flakiest, most unstable, least compatible with other software, drivers I've ever used have been WHQL drivers.... All the WHQL means is that the manufacturer paid MS so they could say their drivers were WHQL certified. As far as I'm concerned it's the same kind of hype as Microsoft Certified Partner. It's just that now the WHQL certification is going to be used to enforce drm. So, what MS will be looking at in hardware and drivers will be if it will enforce drm and if it won't, then they won't certify the hardware or the driver.

That's the bottom line.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Agreed, some drivers provided for WHQL certification are often not the complete versions though as its all about supplying a driver with no bugs and speed\additional features are put to one side.

Hopefully this *might* change with Vista, I was only pointing this out in my previous post. :blink

Lets face it, all versions of Windows are hyped up before they are released. I remember hearing Windows XP being referred to as “the most important piece of software ever released”. Having supported XP in a business environment I think I will remember it for the amount of security flaws (yes, I know this can be pointed at IE) it has and how much time I’ve had to allocate for installing WSUS servers and sitting in front of a PC removing spyware. :twisted:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's also one the eye to independent, open source developers. I have a driver that allows me to use an Xbox pad on my PC, I can't see MS signing that one off even if the guy who wrote it wanted to pay for them to!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270