More Noobie questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by warrmr, Oct 11, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

ok ive been playing again.

i have a spare PC running the server 2k3EE Evaluation, with exchange 2003.

this is hooked upto the rest of my network via a 4 port belkin DSL router.

i am wanting to play with active sync (going back to my email forwarding thread) so i have everthing set up apart from the SSL certificates ( it just throws a warning at me i will configure the certificates later)

from inside the network i can access the outlook web access pages from https://192.168.2.9/exchange everything works fine i can recive email from the outside world and send email to some people ( hotmail bans email form dynamic IPs. as they are the spammers of the world) so you would think everythiing is hunkey dorey

well i cant access it from my dnyDns name,, https://mattwarrillow.is-a-geek.com and i cant access it from my WAN IP address https://WANIP/exchange they both time out.

so i have gone into the router admin console and and added port forwarding to 192.168.2.9 for ports 80, 25, 110, 443,
    still cant access from the outside world

so i have dumped the computer in the DMZ for testing and still no cigar the requests time out. so im stumped it has to be a configuration problem in IIS somewhere.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Can you ping your external IP address, if so try connecting using your IP instead of the dynamic DNS name.

Can you connect using RDP from outside your LAN?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

i was able to ping the external address but now i get the message TTL expired in transit.

and no i cant RDP to the remote address.

im going to reset my modem and router see what happenes, the annoying thing it works fin within the network but outside it hates me

ok it works now for some strange reason.

i had to tick the box that says Block Incoming icmp packets on the router.

then everything works. :S except for exchange active sync. but i think thats cos of the ssl certificates.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need a certificate for this to work properly, what version of Windows mobile are you using? If this is just for testing you can run it over HTTP. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

im not useing windows mobile. i cant wait till my contracts up so a can actually upgrade my phone, its a w950i running Symbian UIQ3 and the application im running is DataViz ActiveSync (its suuposed to interface directly with exchange server just like any other active sync client. )

6. Sparky

Ahh, do you get the option to use http rather than ssl?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

yep.

and ive just turned SSL off in IIS and its just killed everything again. i can access it from internal but not external. aggghhh Head+Brickwall.

8. Sparky

IIS might be locked down to traffic from your LAN, make sure it can accept traffic from the WAN. 8)

9. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

how would i go about doing that.

packet filtering is in tcp/ip propertys is set to allow all.
    the windows firewall is turned off.

where do i look in IIS for wan filtering.

10. Sparky

11. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Thanx and it wasnt locked to LAN traffic only.

i plugged my cable modem directly into the pc running exchange and then got a firend of mine to try and connect to the ip address directly and it worked fine SSL emabled or not. i veryifyed this by running network mon while he was attempting to login and it all seemed quite OK.

then i put the router back in place and it works fine for all of about 15 mins then it breaks again so im putting poor connectivity down to a crap router even though the exchange server was in the DMZ.
    will update when my new router arrives.

this could be part of the reason why active sync wont connect. but i belive it could also be the phone network provider being annoying. i was reading a few symbian os forums and they say that with the P990 they can sync using the datavis app over wifi fine but it fails as soon as they use it over 3G/GPRS.
    the consensus was that the phone operator blocks ports and i know this is true for o2 PAYG and the standard contract GPRS service. but i am using there Mobile WEB service so i know SSL port 443 is open as Gmail uses it for pop3 access.

i need to find a willing windows mobile user to test it out for me when i get my new router sorted. then i need to work out how to ditch a contract thats 6 months through a term without having to pay megabucks so i can switch to T-Mobile as they seem cheaper then O2 but thats a different story.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You got any handset insurance with you mobile I got rid of my awful nokia n80 using the insurance, theres a clause in some of them where you can hand the mobile back after 90 days and break the contract without penalty (apart from losing your number).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Yes i have insurance, abotu 2 months ago i cracked the screen on my w950i and they tryed to fob me off that it was discontinued. and they tryed to offer me a W880 (the silly skinny phone now hows that a smartphone, or some crappy nokia.) so i told them where to stick it then after arguing for 3 days they offered me the P990 i accepted and the next day they were out of stock so they offered me the first lot of phones again and i said no i want a like for like replacemetn like my contract says. so they magicly found a w950i in there grade A returns ( the box was opened cos a customer didnt like it. )

and 90 days is 3 months im well into 6 months of the contract. i have till march 08 before it expires.