More info on the up and coming ICTTech mark

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guy's/Gal's,

Thought that I may as well post the updates of the up and coming ICTTech mark by the ECUK.

See here for the website and here for the leaflet.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks for the info Ken, I'll definitely be taking a closer look.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja

So far only the IET is listed as a participating organisation that's going to be offering it, even though when I e-mail the ECUK a few months ago they said 4 organisations were interested.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Arroryn

Well you'd think the BCS would at least pick it up! That said, my IET membership application is going in early next year, so it won't be a problem :D

5. Kitkatninja

When I contacted the BCS about it back in August (approx), there wasn't alot of info about this so the BCS was under the impression that it was more for engineers. I may e-mail them about this again :)

Any reason why you're going with the IET instead of the BCS?

-Ken

Update: e-mail sent...

6. Arroryn

I want membership for the both anyway. Martin's feedback on them is excellent, and their organised events are excellent.

For the cost of one year's TMIET level membership, it'll be worth finding out how their provision is for 'IT techs' as well as engineers :biggrin

7. Kitkatninja

I was also thinking about membership into the IET, to compliment the BCS, depending on how my career progresses, we'll see... I'm quite happy with what I have at the minute :)

-Ken

8. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

I'm only just sorting out my BCS membership, but not being one for certifications I did wonder whether to consider if IET would be any use to me. Now that I am also moving away from hands on stuff I don't think this is going to affect me too much ... or do I throw my towel in with SOCITM?

Then again, I might give it all up and become a ski instructor ... just got to learn to ski first!

9. Arroryn

lol.

Martin got 'MIET' status with an ONC, the promise of studying for his degree part time and ten years of hard graft - I see no reason why you'd not get MIET, never mind the 'lesser' TMIET.

After a quick Google, I can see what SOCITM is, but I've never, ever heard of it before (possibly because it's aimed at the public sector).

Is it a professional body along the lines of the BCS, or is it more a 'networkingy' 'uniony' type thinger? At a glance on their front page, I see far too many acronyms, and am immediately putting off reading any of the content...

10. Kitkatninja

I guess it really does depend on how you picture your career and where it's going to go. I'm only considering it if I decide to go down the engineering route of IT.

-Ken

11. Arroryn

There is certainly a bias against 'IT Techs' that aren't 'engineers' (ie, helpdesk techs, and... well... most IT bods really!)

Long term, I'm thinking about design and/or documentation career tracks, so the IET would be a good membership to have under the belt.

12. Kitkatninja

Hi All,

Thought I'd post this reply I received from the BCS:

So those that are thinking about the ICTTech mark (and registration with the ECUK), you may be able to go for this mark soon enough with the BCS :)

-Ken

13. Kitkatninja

Just another update on the ICTTech award:

I've e-mail the ECUK to ask when the award will go live, here is their answer:

Wonder who will be the first one here to go for this award?

-Ken